TechTip: Soup Up iSeries Access, Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechTip: Soup Up iSeries Access, Part II

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Soup Up iSeries Access, Part II **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: Soup Up iSeries Access, Part II **

Re:TechTip: Soup Up iSeries Access, Part II

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Soup Up iSeries Access, Part II **
    Thank you Sam. I have been doing this for several years now. I love it. What I find though is that I forget that others don't have the same set up so when I go to their PC and use iSeries Access they don't have the same setup. So I try to show them. Some like it, some don't care. I love it.

Comment

I knew about the keyboard remapping, but I was unaware of the cut/copy/paste keyboard shortcuts. I am a system admin and have all the users setup on windoze terminal servers and have the sessions locked down as much as I could. (specify what keyboard file to use and change it to be read only) So I am interested in more tips for setting up an environment for many people. Also, does anyone know of a good way to have many sessions in the same window? Thanks Derek

Comment

"Also, does anyone know of a good way to have many sessions in the same window?" Yes. It can be done with "group jobs". In the one session only one job can be actively running and the other jobs are suspended, but you can jump back into a job a you are right where you left off. I may come up with an article about that if it hasn't already been done.

Comment

Good article Sam. I have always been puzzled why IBM would not include these functions as standard but then again it is IBM we are talking about! I have a few others that I include by standard that may be of interest; Character backspace - I like to set this so the cursor will go to the previous input field rather than back one space. Copy append - Great if you have multiple screens to copy and can paste all at once. Fast cursor - Having worked on 5250 dumb terminals for a very long time you could use Shift + Arrow (Left or Right) and double the speed of the cursor movement - great in a programming environment. Field Exit - Another handy key from the past. Also by default the Enter key on the numeric keypad of a full size keyboard is not enabled. Following is the keyboard mappings I use - this file can be edited directly and just paste the new functions in. [KEYBOARD] KEY15=[char backspace] C-KEY26=[edit-paste] CS-KEY36=macro hex KEY43=[enter] S-KEY43=[enter] C-KEY43=[dead] C-KEY47=[edit-cut] CS-KEY47=[pass] C-KEY48=[edit-copy] CS-KEY48=[edit-copyappend] C-KEY49=[edit-paste] S-KEY58=[reset] KEY64=[field exit] S-KEY64=[newline] C-KEY79=[fast left] KEY81=[end field] C-KEY89=[fast right] KEY108=[enter] S-KEY108=[enter] Also on the question of running multiple sessions eg Group Jobs we use a product Admin/400 that provides all the group job functionality plus standardized menus and security and is really easy to use. Cheers Don

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Is there a keyboard mapping for SELECT ALL (CTRL-A) ???

Comment

I am not aware of any function that does a "select all". Note that on the Edit menu there is a "Select All" option which selects the whole screen. You can get the same result with Alt+E+A. And if you have not changed your editing options then Ctrl+C will copy the entire screen. (IMHO, this is a blessing and a curse, because I occasionally do a Ctrl+C without having any text selected and immediately paste the whole screen. This tends to mess up the screen where I pasted.)

Comment

Aren't these key combinations conventions from an earlier versions of Windows? (Not sure which, since I just erased my last copy of Win 98 so I can't test it.) I've just run a quick test on Win XP, and Ctrl+Shift+Insert pastes in Wordpad, but not in Notepad or Word 2002 or FrontPage 2003. Shift+Insert pastes in all four. (So it appears that Microsoft isn't consistent in it's backward compatablilty...) Ctrl+V pastes in all four. Ctrl+Shift+Insert pastes in iSeries Access, but Shift+Insert doesn't. Hence my preference for Ctrl+X, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V since they seem to be consistent across Windows apps and I've gotten in to that habit. But thanks for the suggestion--it may be of use to others. Cheers

Comment

I've been using these shortcuts for awhile - couldn't work without them. I hate having to click on the copy/paste buttons on the toolbar. Another key I re-map is the End key - I think the default is erase-input. I change it to end field. When pressed, it will move the cursor to the end of a field/line. Very useful.

Comment

Yes indeed. I have another Tip submitted where I cover a few othr mapping and this is one of them. Sam

Comment

Working...
                    X