Licensing for virtual LPARs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensing for virtual LPARs

Just got done reading this article: http://www.mcpressonline.com/system-...echnology.html

I am excited about the virtual LPAR capability but am curious to know if there are licensing restrictions I should know about. For example, I recently purchased a V6R1 machine (Nov 2009) and would like to have a virtual LPAR of V7R1. Do I need to purchase another OS license for V7R1? Do I need to purchase the RPG compiler for the V7R1 virtual instance separately? (I already paid for it on the V6R1 machine).

AaronBartell.com

Even though your LPAR could be using all virtual I/O, it is still considered an LPAR and requires all the corresponding licenses. One thing to think about is if an Application Server license is right for you. Either the client or the server may be considered an Application Server, but the Application Server has limits on its functionality .

Comment

When you say "Application Server" what exactly are you talking about? Websphere Application Server? I don't use WAS - too much of a hassle and not reliable enough. Also, where can I go to learn more about how to license an additional LPAR? And where can I go that walks me through setting up a 7.1 LPAR on a V6R1 machine?

Thanks for your response,
      AaronBartell.com

Comment

Here's a link that explains the different licenses:

Comment

Working...
        X