FTP issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP issues

I would think that should work (at least it did when i tried it!). A possible workaround - save the file to a savf, create the savf on the target machine, ftp the savf and restore......just a thought. HTH, Joe

FTP issues

Em I no longer have a 2nd machine to test this stuff out with but let me see if I can offer some suggestions. (I have done this before, although it was a while back.) First some confirmations. When you issue the above commands, you are running the FTP command on one of the 2 iSeries, correct ? Also, the IP address in the FTP command above, I presume that that is the IP address of the target machine - where you want the restored file to finally be ? Next, I don't think you should use the BIN command. I would use the EBCDIC command. You'd only use BIN if you were transfering a Save file (*SAVF) which would require that you first create the save file on the target system. If you just FTPing a PF from one iSeries to another, the file should be created for you on the target system. In fact, I'd make sure you "put" it into a library where it doesn't already exist & let the system create it for you. Be sure to use the EBCDIC command instead of BIN for this type of transfer though. Hope this helps. Martin

Comment

FTP issues

x

Comment

FTP issues

hi If u have special characters u will need the BIN, otherwise u dont need it. but try the save file thing, it's the best and guaranteed way (u will need the BIN for the save files)

Comment

FTP issues

Bear with me, as I've only used FTP a few times. I need to restore a file from tape that was created in 1999 to one of our iseries. This particular iseries no longer has a tape drive attached that is compatible with the tape. So, I restored the file to another iseries and now I need to FTP it to the other machine. First try FTP xxx.xx.xx.xx Userid Password bin put mylib/oldfile mylib2/oldfile This seemed to run okay, but when I checked the file on the receiving end, it was just one big field of garbage. So I did some research and got the impression that I needed to create an empty file on the receiving machine. I used dspffd on the sending machine to get the field names and attributes, and then created the file on the receiving machine. Then, I try the same ftp again. This time it halts with a 426 cannot write to member error. When I check the file on the receiving machine there have been ten or twelve records written. Some of the fields have correct data, others have garbage. Am I missing something in my ftp commands? Because of the age of the file I know that it was created many os/400 versions ago. Could that be a problem? Thanks if anyone can help Em

Comment

FTP issues

I tried the savf method and it worked perfectly. Em

Comment

Working...
            X