WHOS DONE WHAT WITHIN SQL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHOS DONE WHAT WITHIN SQL

What's the business reason here, George? If you're trying to find out who has done what to a specific file, either journaling or database triggers may be a better answer. Because someone can take option two and not save their session at all. This is a pretty unreliable way of monitoring database access. Joe

Joe thanks for your advice but I have switched on journaling on our test system and we have so may files to look at, the disk space gets eaten up. What are database triggers ? There must be away that we can force the user to save the session to a file. George

Comment

I need a better idea of what you are looking for. You say "we have so many files to look at". What are you looking FOR? Is there a specific change you're looking for? Or are you just trying to log every change to every file? There is no way that I know of to force the user to save the session. Perhaps you need to exclude some people from using SQL. Again, without more knowledge of the spceific problem, it's almost impossible to try and guide you. As to database triggers, a trigger is a program that is "attached" to a file and is called whenever the file is accessed. You can attach a trigger to fire whenever records are updated (look at the ADDPFTRG command for more information). In the trigger, you can then check to see what fields were updated, for example, and then post a message if something you didn't expect happens. You can also chase the program stack and see what program the user is using to update the file. As in anything, there are tradeoffs, and with triggers the tradeoff is system response time. If you attach a trigger that gets fired too often and does too much, then you can definitely bog your system down. Hope this helps a little! Joe

Comment

Joe the only users who have SQL are IT developers and they CAN use it to change data files and this is what I need to capture. File triggers and journalling are out of the question (normal reasons). Any more ideas George

Comment

George, in that case you have to consider the use of SQL: first of all revoke authority. Second ask questions: why is it used? how often? I hope not used for design errors. Because if you really want to know what files are changed with SQL, then triggers or journalling is your only option. In short: revoke authority or buy more disks. Regards, Carel Teijgeler

Comment

Then you also need to check for use of DFU as well as one-shot programs and anything else. And if that's the case, then some sort of external audit mechanism is required. The wonderful thing is that OS/400 provides not one, but TWO external audit techniques, triggers and journals. You'll have to bite the bullet and choose one. Joe

Comment

Whos done what within sql

I need an automated way to find out whos done what in STRSQL I know that when you end a session you get the option to save to a file , but this is not the default , therefore users would just accept the defaults which saves the session details. Does any body know where these session details are held or a way of changing the default values on the Exit Interactive SQL screen Thanks George

Comment

Whos done what within sql

George - You have a valid concern. On our system we have rather large files that were SQL'd regularly, this was consuming a lot of our processor. We could not remove SQL, as you it was primarily the IS group that was hurting us. Instead we changed the command they ran (STRSQL). We customized it to call our own SQL program (a more glorified STRSQL command). It limited the search to 200 seconds, grabbed the user ID, Users Name and the command they ran. It does not keep the results of the SQL - just what they attempted to to. This information is then stored in a file (time and date stamped) that the administrators can query to find out who did what on which day. I am not the programmer who did this, but I have read through the program and use the results on a regular basis. I included some of the program below - it calls a few other programs which I can provide if needed. I also changed some of the formating to fit in the space provided. I have also provided one of the called programs (the actual SQL Logging program) in the attached text doc. I don't know if this is the area you were heading with this or not. Kristian

SQLLOG.txt

Comment

Working...
                X