Tips for monitoring for a new file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for monitoring for a new file?

I'm not sure how this could be done for a "creation" event, but you might find some use for a TRIGGER. Another alternative might be a never ending program that constantly catalogs libraries, thereby monitoring for new objects. Dave

He could trigger QADBXREF, if possible, with an AFTER INSERT. This is the system file that contains a record entry for every file on the iSeries. When a file is added/created, a record should be added to QADBXREF. But triggering a system catalog -- boy, I don't know...

Comment

Cool!!! I like that idea, and am willing to risk it, but after creating a file in a library... I checked the file but it never seemed to show up in there.

Comment

Maybe see what the FTP jobs are doing using FTP exit points? There are four beginning with QIBM_QTMF_, for request validation and logons, and one for TFTP, QIBM_QTOD_SERVER_REQ. My understanding is that exit programs are given data about what's going to be done, and return a Yes/No response on whether to allow it. There's nothing to keep you from passing that data along to something else, or checking for writing a file to that library. WRKREGINF to see your exit points.

Comment

Chris, We use an FTP management software. It may perform the tasks you are looking for. Here is the web site: http://www.patownsend.com/FTPManager.htm Scott

Comment

ChrisVillanueva wrote: > Does anyone have any tips on how to monitor for a new file creation? > I would like this process to be event driven, meaning that when a new > object/file was created in a "specific" library... so process would > wake up and process the file. If the sender is trustworthy, I'd probably have them put in an QUOTE RCMD to kick off your job after the file's been successfully placed. Bill

Comment

Does anyone have any tips on how to monitor for a new file creation? I would like this process to be event driven, meaning that when a new object/file was created in a "specific" library... so process would wake up and process the file. We are getting files via FTP, and also using FTP to receiving GET files, to a single specific library and need to process the new file(s) immediately. I would like to stay way from the *CREATE AUDLVL system value method if at all possible as this is a big AS/400 running V5R3 with lots-o-object creations to sort through. Thanks! Chris

Comment

You can try the software from www.bvstools.com called ftptool. It is an exit program used to add ftp security, but it also allows you to name a trigger program to be executed after your partner runs a specific ftp command. So you could set this up so that after your partner performs a PUT command to place a file on your system, your trigger program would automatically run.

Comment

Working...
                X