Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has IBM relinquished the B2C marketplace to the competition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has IBM relinquished the B2C marketplace to the competition?

They may have, but I haven't. I've got some incredible tools in the works that are making it almost a no-brainer to develop browser panels that talk to servers on the 400. You simply define the fields to be passed as an extrenally described data structure (a physical file), and then use a couple of definition files to group those fields as widgets. Using a few lines of code in a JSP, you then place those widgets in a browser panel and off you go. I'm going to synthesize that technique with my original revitalization approach, and you'll have the ability to do both: quickly build GUI representations of existing display files, as well as build direct browser-RPG interfaces without a display file. Joe

GO JOE, GO !!! There is an article in the Times about BIM's failures in its own business on the WWW. bobh

Comment

With all its emphasis on B2B, I'm wondering - "Has IBM relinquished the B2C marketplace to the competition?" Okay Frank, I have a really dumb question. I know that "B2B" means "Business To Business", but what is "B2C"?

Comment

Business to Consumer - the "traditional" .com application . Storefronts and all that.

Comment

Business to Consumer - the "traditional" .com application . Storefronts and all that. Oh ... you mean "click & mortar"! Jeez ... these acronyms are gonna drive me up the wall and out the windows one day. Muchos Gracias, Merci Beaucoup, Danka Schoen, etc., etc., etc.

Comment

Oh ... you mean "click & mortar"! Careful - "click and mortar" usually refers to businesses that have both a web portal AND a traditional physical storefront. Barnes and Nobles is click and mortar, Amazon.com is not.

Comment

Now that I know what "B2C" means, I can participate! Recently I have noticed a lot of TV ads for IBM and Internet Applications. I don't know why they'd sink money into TV advertising for something they were going to "relinquish". On a related matter, has anyone noticed the flurry of Micro$oft TV ads recently? Their basic pitch is that MS servers are so reliable that no one needs to monitor them. The ad shows an empty room with a couple of servers and a single party balloon floating peacefully just above the machines. It's been stated here before countless times ... If the AS/400 is really more reliable than NT, why not counter the Micro$oft ads?!?! This has been discussed here before, I know, but now that M$ is taking the propaganda offensive I think the matter takes on a little more urgency.

Comment

I keep in touch with a few people who develop web applications on MS servers.  They address the reliability issue by limiting the number of components running on the server.  They manage reliability by scaling back the complexity of the application, or dividing components across multiple servers.  In contrast, the AS/400 reliably handles a complex workload on a single server.

Nathan.

Comment

In contrast, the AS/400 reliably handles a complex workload on a single server. You know that, and I know that, Nathan, but the general consumer seems neither to know nor care, nor does IBM seem to be trying to make that point. What we need is some good, solid applications running on the net. I'm going to do everything I can over the next six months to get my entire Java400.net website running off the AS/400 using the JSP/RPG architecture (both revitalization and client/server). I'm going to include lots of web content as well as, hopefully, some good demo applications. Then I need to develop a simple forum type of application. The final piece will be to have an electronic storefront. You might want to consider doing something similar with your code. With a couple of real sites to point to, we may be able to better address these issues and convince some CEO/CFO types. Joe

Comment

"This has been discussed here before, I know, but now that M$ is taking the propaganda offensive I think the matter takes on a little more urgency" I know this is heresy, but the most common refrain I see everywhere about any OS is reliability and uptime, be it OS/400, all the flavors of Unix, all the distributions of Linux, and Windows NT/2000, not to mention mainframes and the Tandem types. This is a non-starter. Not one person will ever be convinced to switch from their computer to another OS because of alleged superior uptime of another OS. NT advocates, Linux advocates, Unix advocates, and OS/400 advocates all say the same thing. This is the most non-productive argument one could ever make for justifying a computer, it will never fly. Not to mention that what a computer runs is infinitely more important to people than how long the software runs between reboots. But I sympathise with you, Susan, because the refrain is repated often enough that one would think there is a legitimate marketing point here for the AS/400. Not to be, no matter how often repeated... Ralph

Comment

"Recently I have noticed a lot of TV ads for IBM and Internet Applications." -------------------------------------- Susan - Were any of these TV ads directed specifically at the B2C iseries (AS/400) marketplace?

Comment

.... With a couple of real sites to point to, we may be able to better address these issues and convince some CEO/CFO types. That's a good strategy, however, it would certainly HELP all of us if IBM would not let Micro$oft win a propaganda war. M$ is declaring themselves the best, and if no one challenges that assertion, it is likely to stand. The M$ TV ad that I described before is very clever, IMO. If IBM, or anyone else, has a better product then they need to call Microsoft's bluff. The CFO/CEO types might get tainted and may not want to hear about another product if they get convinced that M$ is the best based on the cutesy advertising. The truth won't matter unless someone matches (answers) the M$ TV claims. Public relations has little to do with the truth, unfortunately. I hope you and others do get some good examples up and running. I also hope that can happen before too much PR damage is done.

Comment

You're reading my mind, Joe.

In addition to what we do, I'd like to see the iSeries Division come out with an ad that mixed the truth with a little humor.  Can you imagine an ad that featured a couple of Windows geeks attempting to configure and balance a complex workload across a room full of MS servers.  Then switch over  to the carefree iSeries operator watching a monitor full of activity flying by?

Nathan.

Comment

To the best of my memory ... The IBM TV ad is a bunch of clueless manager types sitting around in a meeting room discussing some big problem with their website. They want to blame everyone (every group) in the company until the leader (sure, the leader would be female in this case!) says "well, who is responsible for making sure ALL of this works". The guy next to her leans over and says, "you are". The woman then has a really blank expression on her face as the voiceover says "you are SO ready for IBM" or something tantamount to that. To me, that could be B2B or B2C.

Comment

All of IBM's demos concern retailing, but B2C has become a quagmire from which most new companies have not escaped (seen any doggie sock puppet ads recently?). IBM is very (stock) market savvy, and as such is concentrating on non-commercial internet usage. As we are aware, the internet is much more than the world-wide-web, and the ability to take advantage of a common carrier can make B2B, and conferencing tasks far easier for the end user. I fully expect, that in about five years or less, some firms with privacy and/or security issues will discover the private communications capabilities of SNA; IMO It will take that long, or perhaps longer, but SNA will experience a resurgence, and there will be adds touting TCP only guys flipping hot dogs. BTW, my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek, but not too firmly. Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X