Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I give up.......

Jim,
    I know a company in Memphis that has 5 openings for senior COBOL programmers on s/390. They have been looking for some time, and have been unable to find anyone. If you are interested, drop me a line at agarrison@dotlogix.com.
    Alex
    OK, folks, I'm ready to pack it in! After 2 months of being told the my skills are either too old or too light, I'm giving up!Apparently the 20+ years of knowledge and experience I've accumulated are worthless. I've taken a BB class last summer, and I'm now taking an MS Visual I++ class. Of course, companies don't care about classes, just experience. I have decided that, in my current state, I'm unemployable. Therefore, I'm investigating the possibility of going back to school, and being entry-level again. Of course this means entry-level salaries. Anything better than unemployment looks good to me right now. I'm thinking that network engineers are usually in demand, so I'm looking at schools that have those intensive 40-hour week classes. Does anyone have any ideas? Cheers, Jim Hank ! AS; My resume is already posted in the career section. I also notice I'm the only one there. I wonder why?

I give up.......

Jim,
    Where are you located? Here in Southern California the marketplace is still pretty brisk. In fact, one of the programmers that used to work for me was just given a huge signing bonus and they're being trained from scratch in JDE. The salary is approaching 6 figures. That's notuncommon around these parts.
    I'd say thatif you've only been looking 2 months thendon't give up yet. Either expand your horizon in terms of locationor look harder. I was recently unemployed and beat thebushes everywhere. I went to all of the online sources, contacted a number of head hunters and visited the local users group every month. (The local users group is generally where the head hunters hang out.)Since I'm only looking for a director's position there are far fewer available than for programmers. However, I never gave up. Ironically, the job I found was from an ad in the L.A.Times.
    Chuck
    OK, folks, I'm ready to pack it in! After 2 months of being told the my skills are either too old or too light, I'm giving up!Apparently the 20+ years of knowledge and experience I've accumulated are worthless. I've taken a BB class last summer, and I'm now taking an MS Visual I++ class. Of course, companies don't care about classes, just experience. I have decided that, in my current state, I'm unemployable. Therefore, I'm investigating the possibility of going back to school, and being entry-level again. Of course this means entry-level salaries. Anything better than unemployment looks good to me right now. I'm thinking that network engineers are usually in demand, so I'm looking at schools that have those intensive 40-hour week classes. Does anyone have any ideas? Cheers, Jim Hank ! AS; My resume is already posted in the career section. I also notice I'm the only one there. I wonder why?

Comment

I give up.......

Thanks to all of you around the country who have sent me queries regarding my availability. Apparently, the legacy systems market is alive and well, just not where I live. Unfortunately, I can't relocate. Which pretty much fits the luck I've been having lately. Again, thanks for all the encouragement! I'll keep plugging along. Hopefully, my luck will turn. Cheers, Jim !

Comment

I give up.......

Jim, If nothing else, market yourself as a Business Analyst. The market for knowledge in specific areas is increasing. The fact that you can program is a plus. We used BA's to produce Query reports, intermediate between the User Community and Programming Community. You have the best of both worlds. Use the search engine at YAHOO! to look up the word RESUME. You will find services, but there are bunches of resumes online and you may find one that has a format that strikes you as professional and get some good buzz words out of it. Don't use just buzzwords and make sure you know the facts behind the statement before you use it. I'm not sure where you live, but in Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Arkansas and other states in the Midwest, (I know Florida is not Midwest) the demand for programmers is very heavy. In most cases, if you can spell RPG you can grab a 35K job. If you can put experience, or spell JDE, PRMS, BPCS, it's worth about 7k - 10k more for each at the starting level. -bret

Comment

I give up.......

Comment

I give up.......

When contracting gets slow, I get a J-O-B at the College level. Many of them have old pig-iron boxes and none of the button clickers know how to 're-boot' VTAM or MVS. Also, a lot of Colleges will let you take M$ courses free. Good Luck! bobh

Comment

Working...
            X