Web host’s customer database stolen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web host’s customer database stolen

I've had personal experience with something similar to this. I bought something from Egghead.com, who was later hacked. At least one weird charge showed up on my card. Now I change my card fairly frequently (by reporting it lost or whatever), so the numbers change. Brian

Everytime I hear something like this, SNA gets more and more attractive for business functions. Dave

Comment

From MSNBC today: "THE CRIMINAL, CONTACTED by MSNBC.com late Friday, claimed to have broken into ADDR.com’s computers and stolen the firm’s entire customer database. He would only identify himself as a 26-year-old from the Netherlands, but he provided evidence of his claim by e-mailing a slice of the data — 50 records — to MSNBC.com." "The data appears to be legitimate, and if it is, it’s likely that whoever grabbed the 50 records from ADDR.com would have been able to obtain the company’s entire database." "MSNBC.com attempted to contact each of the 50 customers included in the data provided by the criminal; every one of the 16 who responded verified that the user names, passwords, and credit cards in the records were accurate." "The credit card data appears to be in circulation in the computer underground. Three of the customers contacted by MSNBC.com said they had recently discovered fraud on their accounts." "ADDR.com is a large Web hosting company which supports nearly 50,000 Web sites across the Internet; most of them are small business pages like fixit4you.com or commoncomputer.com. It’s particularly popular because the monthly hosting fee of $7.95 is among the cheapest rates available on the Internet." mmmmmm, what a web site architecture..... store all the credit card information for 50,000 hosted business sites in accessible files on a hackable server.... I'm more and more impressed with this web stuff everyday... Ralph

Comment

That's why I like a message-based client/server approach, Dave, as opposed to any sort of direct connection between client and host database. By using a messaging protocol, you can route the requests securely, and have your database firmly ensconced behind whatever type of security you'd like. Joe

Comment

Working...
        X