12 megabit only suitable for mice nowadays, says ZDNet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 megabit only suitable for mice nowadays, says ZDNet

I agree, Ralph. Sometimes folks who write articles simply don't understand the reality of the situation. Let's say I have to track two positions on my screen. Let's say those positions are in pixels, and they're 16 bits each (allowing 65535 pixels in each direction of my MegaMondoScreen(RegUsPatOff)). That means at 12 megabits/sec, I can track movement across my screen of well over 250,000 positions per second.
    Wow! At that rate, I can do some SERIOUS paint programs!!!!
    Sheesh.
    "Ralph Daugherty" <ralph@ee.net> wrote in message news:1de449bb.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS...
    from: Microsoft unplugs Intel project By Matthew Broersma ZDNet (UK) April 18, 2001 3:27 PM PT "USB 1.1 is now built into almost all PCs, but with a top data transfer rate of 12Mbit/s it is only suitable for peripherals such as low-end printers and mice." Remember when 12 *hundred* bits/sec (1200 baud) was considered suitable for mice and low end printers? Now 12 *MEGA* bits/sec is not suitable for anything more than mice, says this ZDNet correspondent. Excuse me while I go get a T1 line for my mouse... Ralph

Yep, not your father's Pong, Joe... Ralph

Comment

I can remember when 1200 was an improvement to my PC modem, dialing into our S/36. -Bret P.S. I just found my old Pong (original) game last month when I was in the process of packing and unpacking.

Comment

Bret, >I can remember when 1200 was an improvement to my PC modem, dialing into our S/36. And I can remember working on Teletypes at 110 bps. No screen, just the paper roll. Oh, and one of them had paper tape too, so you could archive the source listings. If I got to use a Tektronix at 1200bps, it seemed *really* fast. Doug

Comment

from: Microsoft unplugs Intel project By Matthew Broersma ZDNet (UK) April 18, 2001 3:27 PM PT "USB 1.1 is now built into almost all PCs, but with a top data transfer rate of 12Mbit/s it is only suitable for peripherals such as low-end printers and mice." Remember when 12 *hundred* bits/sec (1200 baud) was considered suitable for mice and low end printers? Now 12 *MEGA* bits/sec is not suitable for anything more than mice, says this ZDNet correspondent. Excuse me while I go get a T1 line for my mouse... Ralph

Comment

Teletypes were a subcourse in my Secure Communications Repair training for the Army. I remember working on some of them that had quite a bit of problems because of the CHADS that would be knocked off the paper that was used. We had problems with punching them way back then. 'Course, I remember working on Radar and O-scopes that still had the aluminum or cardboard tubes to pull out so you could see the 'blips' without 'cause the light reflecting on the "screen" made the display unreadable. My my, how things have changed in 20+ years. -bret

Comment

Working...
            X