Candidates are People, NOT Maze Rats: Flawed Testing of Coping Skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candidates are People, NOT Maze Rats: Flawed Testing of Coping Skills

Boy, I think that people have completely misunderstood my comment on "moving the candidate into an antagonistic environment" with an "antagonistic interview." The two simply aren't related. When I ask a candidate questions to move them into an antagonistic environment the atmosphere of the interview never changes. It's always cordial, light and professional. I don't talk down to the candidate, try to intimidate or do anything else that is disrespectful of the candidate. What I do try to do is to get them to talk about something that they feel uncomfortable discussing. They may not even be proud to discuss it, but done properly they will be very candid about such scenarios. In any event, after such probing, I immediately move them over into a "favorable" environment to get them discussing a topic they're proud of. The terms "antagonistic environment" and "favorable environment" are traditional and classic terms derived out of the study of personality profiles. Specifically, I've referring to the of the teachings of Eduard Spranger. Sorry about the confusion. I didn't explain it thoroughly in the beginning of this discussion. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Pat Erickson" wrote in message news:1e94f3b7.34@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Apples and Oranges are both fruit, but there's where their similarities end. How a person copes with a frustrating test does not necessarily indicate how they'd respond to a customer. I could walk out on a badly conducted antagonistic interview, but in the Real World "Customer-Friday" scenario, I might say, "I think so, but can I research that and get back to you in about an hour?" Then possibly outsource much of the needed help without sweating it. > > I've patiently survived several antagonistic interviews throughout the years, but would I have worked for those companies had they made me an offer? A resounding N O . > > > Besides, you've heard the Stock Brokerage disclaimer that I believe applies to many situations: "Past performance is no guarantee of future results." So let's stop trying to pick people's brains, manipulating candidates, faithlessly making crafty tests many times designed to inflate the interviewer's ego but to show the candidate how much of a jerk you can be. Finally, ask yourself this question: How will the company conducting an antagonistic interview fare against another competing company that doesn't? > >
Working...
X