Don't panic about the AS/400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't panic about the AS/400

I agree. Printed material just doesn't make it anymore. But I'd still like to have this electronic version staying the course.

Hello All, RJS Software Systems finds it unfortunate that IIR publications has made this sudden, drastic move to discontinue its AS/400 publications. We are a major magazine advertiser; thus, we are just as saddened and disappointed as every Midrange Computing subscriber. Due to this shocking news, RJS Software Systems Inc. has decided to open a FREE alternative newsgroup server for all existing Midrange Computing subscribers and all other AS/400 community members. The news server will be active by Monday, July 30th. We are essentially mirroring the same forums that currently exist on the Midrange Computing news server. Since Midrange Computing has announced their closure, we're not sure how much longer the Midrange Computing forums will be active, and we want to see this community continue to thrive. To access the new forums, point your newsgroup readers to our forum web address. The web address is: news.rjssoftware.com Please contact me directly with any questions, feedback or input on the new forums. RJS Software Systems looks forward to helping the AS/400 technical community by providing this FREE public service. Regards, Richard Schoen RJS Software Systems Inc. "The AS/400 Report and Data Delivery Experts" Email: richard@rjssoft.com Web Site: http://www.rjssoft.com

Comment

Ian,
      Before you start to panic about the platform dying simplybased upon a closure of MC,you need to broaden your perspective. Every single magazine I receive has become very thin these days. Computer Shopper used to be 500 pages per month, now it's under 100. PC Magazine is a mere shadow of it's once robust self. Infoworld isn't much bigger than a pamphlet these days and ComputerWorld is paltry.
      I think the demise of technicalmagazines, in general, is that their usefulness has dropped dramatically because we all use the Internet now. When I look for a new software package I seldom ever pick up a magazine as I once did, I just go to Google.com and start searching. I never archive old magazines any more because it's simply not necessary. In fact, I spend much less time than in the past reading these magazines.
      The times are changing for paper delivered news and tips. It's electronic now. Therefore, you can't conclude anything about the AS/400 platform because of this development.
      chuck
      Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
      First thought this was April 1st - but NO! This represents a big loss. For IBM also, as it starts to make you wonder if its because of a lack of interest in the platform! Considering the Money that IBM make out of the iseries, perhaps a bit of subsidizing could take plase. Small change for IBM to keep the fires burning I would think. Good PR and show of faith. A bit of "were there if you fall". If not the whole shebang, at least the website etc. Ive been getting MC for about 9-10yrs ( Data Network i think it was called originally? ). More positive news shortly i hope. Ian.

Comment

Good observations, Chuck. I'd add that the technical magazine business was hit early in the economic downturn, because it's where companies who are optimistic about their prospects in the marketplace go to attempt to stake their claim in that market through advertising. When companies hunker down (reduce spending) to ride out a downturn, the cumulative effect hits magazines hard. As for the Internet and its replacement of printed magazines, I don't think that it's a direct correlation. Of course, the Internet changed how we look for info such as what you're describing, but when it comes to learning about new topics, I'd rather have a good paper article in front of me to get me started. A combo of the two is a great tool. Different people like their information differently, so paper vs. the Internet just becomes a choice of media. Besides, it's still hard to read the Internet on a plane. :-) My $.02 Brian

Comment

Hello All, RJS Software Systems finds it unfortunate that IIR publications has made this sudden, drastic move to discontinue its AS/400 publications. We are a major magazine advertiser; thus, we are just as saddened and disappointed as every Midrange Computing subscriber. Due to this shocking news, RJS Software Systems Inc. has decided to open a FREE alternative newsgroup server for all existing Midrange Computing subscribers and all other AS/400 community members. The news server will be active by Monday, July 30th. We are essentially mirroring the same forums that currently exist on the Midrange Computing news server. Since Midrange Computing has announced their closure, we're not sure how much longer the Midrange Computing forums will be active, and we want to see this community continue to thrive. To access the new forums, point your newsgroup readers to our forum web address. The web address is: news.rjssoftware.com Please contact me directly with any questions, feedback or input on the new forums. RJS Software Systems looks forward to helping the AS/400 technical community by providing this FREE public service. Regards, Richard Schoen RJS Software Systems Inc. "The AS/400 Report and Data Delivery Experts" Email: richard@rjssoft.com Web Site: http://www.rjssoft.com

Comment

Chuck Ackerman wrote: > > Ian, > > Before you start to panic about the platform dying simply based upon a > closure of MC, you need to broaden your perspective. Every single > magazine I receive has become very thin these days. Computer Shopper > used to be 500 pages per month, now it's under 100. PC Magazine is a > mere shadow of it's once robust self. Infoworld isn't much bigger > than a pamphlet these days and ComputerWorld is paltry. > When I look for a new software package I seldom ever pick up a > magazine as I once did, I just go to Google.com and start searching. > The times are changing for paper delivered news and tips. It's > electronic now. Therefore, you can't conclude anything about the > AS/400 platform because of this development. Bingo. You said it better than I did in an earlier post. -- -Jeff The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily the opinion of my company. Unless I say so.

Comment

Richard Schoen2 wrote: > RJS Software Systems finds it unfortunate that IIR publications has > made > this sudden, drastic move to discontinue its AS/400 publications. Was it really necessary to post this 5 times? -- -Jeff The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily the opinion of my company. Unless I say so.

Comment

Working...
              X