How will No Java effect you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How will No Java effect you?

Not exactly the same thing as Chuck mentioned, but something else to consider concerning Windows XP. Microsoft's new product activation strategy will prevent someone from loading their MS software on more PC's than it is licensed for. Which is the way it should work anyway, given that you should only use what you pay for, but still, I'm wondering how much of an impact this will have on business' and home users who have more than one PC. Click on the link below to read more about it. Microsoft Product Activation

Since only a miniscule number of as/400 sites have adopted Java, having no java will be a non event. Some may start thinking about C#.

Comment

Chuck wrote: "Sure, you say, Windows XP won't have much of an impact because your company isn't going to adopt it." I'd add that XP's version of IE will be coming in the interim, and given their new stance, I wouldn't count on it supporting Java out of the box as IE does now. It might be fully backward compatible, but I think your question is an important one to consider. I'll be interested in seeing what people think. It is true that NcNealy, Ellison, and Jobs are all considerably nastier than Gates, who's just a fierce competitor versus being nasty about it. On the other hand, most of the nastiest M$ moves came from pit bull kids without adult supervision ("cut off their air supply", etc.). Many of them are now gone, with the massive exodus of Microsoft principals that has occurred, and Ballmer is running it entirely different now given the direction that the courts have nudged them. Ralph

Comment

Shannon O'Donnell wrote: I'm wondering how much of an impact this will have on business' and home users who have more than one PC. An excellent point. I have been previously told, that it was not only acceptable, but also legal to use the same copy of software at different places. This would be as long as you were the only person using the software, and you were only using one copy at a time (Carbon Copy, or PC Anywhere for those who were wondering how you could be two places at once). I believe that we are not alone with these thoughts. I bet that many who insist on being the first on their block, will get some surprising disappointments. Dave

Comment

I have been previously told, that it was not only acceptable, but also legal to use the same copy of software at different places.
          There is often a clause in the license to this effect, so I think that whether or not this applies depends on the exact license conditions. There is also a grey area with OEM disks. For example, I run a fully licensed and registered copy of Office 2000 at home, but I bought it in an on-line auction for a small fraction of its official price. Originally it was issued as part of the bundle with a PC sale. It was sold to me with the shrink wrap still intact. It's perfectly legal for me to use it, as far as I'm aware, but the vendor may have breached the terms of the original PC sale. Whether these terms are legal or enforcable is a question that I believe has not yet been tested either in the US or the UK. From my limited understanding of XP I think I would still be able to do this. The product would be activated when I installed it on my PC, and the fact that it was originally sold for use on a different PC would be immaterial. Dave...

Comment

I'll be like a fish with no hook in its mouth. bobh

Comment

After yesterday's announcement by Microsoft that Windows XP and future versions of Internet Explorer will NOT support Java (see "So long, Java! How Sun screwed itself by suing Microsoft" at http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stor...791052,00.html) I'd be curious how you think it will effect your programming efforts.
              The browser that hits my company's web site, by far, is Internet Explorer, so this development is bound to have some effect on what we do going forward. Sure, you say, Windows XP won't have much of an impact because your company isn't going to adopt it. However, by the first of the year, many new PCs will have XP preloaded by the factory when they're sold. So, this is going to have an impact sooner or later, probably sooner. All you need is just a few complaints to your CEO about your unfriendly, or broken,ecommerce site and you too will be scrambling.
              BTW, read the article quoted above. Scott McNeely, who is considerably nastier than Bill Gates, is getting exactly what he asked for.
              chuck
              Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

You do have a nice way with similes, Bob! :-) Dave...

Comment

Working...
                X