Health of the AS/400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health of the AS/400

It could very well be the opposite. Most magazines have an annual subscription rate far lower than MC. This is due to a plethora of reasons including but not limited to, the size of the circulation, and the advertising revenues that may be generated from the circulation. I may be surmizing, but perhaps the "other" mag has decided that its balance sheet only needs a subscription rate of $39. Perhaps it is trying to capture market share. Perhaps the moon's a baloon! Dave

Health of the AS/400

You're right on. All of the above is the correct answer.

Comment

Health of the AS/400

Chuck, Take a closer look at that flyer. Mine says an additional membership costs $39. Chris

Comment

Health of the AS/400

Generally, I've been able to gauge the health of specific industries by the technical publications that follow that industry.
        Having said that, have you noticed how thin News/400 has become? I just received an ad for an annual subscription of only $39. Either this is a sign of a declining interest in the industry, or News/400 is just failing, or the web is eating into magazine sales, or a combination of all three.
        What do you think?
        chuck
        Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Health of the AS/400

I haven’t read News/400 for years although I used to regard it as required, if expensive, reading. One day one of their salesmen called at our office to hawk advertising space. He promised me a year’s free subscription if I could get him in to see one of our directors regardless of whether he made a sale. No problem. Ten minutes later the salesman was on his way with one of the blackest looks on his face I have ever seen following a short and unproductive interview with the director, who emerged from his office chuckling that he didn’t think I was likely to get my free subscription. Unfortunately he was correct. A deal’s a deal, and because they had reneged I decided not to renew my subscription when it expired. After a few months they unsuccessfully attempted to get my business back by the simple expedient of resuming deliveries and sending invoices. A few months ago a UK version of the magazine, News/400.uk, appeared. It has one or two good articles but mostly it’s pretty thin. However, by dint of being subscribed to the Newswire/400 e-zine, I suppose, I started getting free introductory copies of this. Although the introductory period expired long ago I’m still getting my free unsolicited copies. I presume that sales have been slow and giving the magazine away is the only way they can keep the circulation figures high enough to attract advertisers. Dave…

Comment

Working...
          X