One nation, indivisible...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One nation, indivisible...

Perhaps a better question might be: Why did IBM do this whole "I-Series Nation" thing in the first place? After all they have the existing Iseries/AS/400 web site, and they, more than anyone else know who their customer base is. Or do they? Often, my questions to IBM, are met with the admission, that they do not know who is using all of those AS/400s, what models are being used, and what they are being used for!! IBM comments such as "If only anybody would use it" referring to Ops Nav, and the infamous RPG poll show that IBM is out of touch. And there are those like Malcolm Haines who knows it. I believe that "I-series Nation" is an attempt to get back in touch with the customer base, and find out what the needs really are. It's too bad for IBM that most shop management is too busy trying to get the days work done, and does not have the time to surf the latest AS400 web site, and answer a bunch of seemingly silly questions. Years ago you used to have IBM reps that would actually visit your site. They could see what you are doing. Now all the sales reps are either in Atlanta or Dallas or some other location where you aren't. They are organized by industry, but have no interest in what you are doing, or how you are doing it. Consequently IBM has forgotten why people are still using their product. This is why Webshphere for the AS400 is being touted so heavily, and also why the vast majority of the customer base is ignoring it so heavily. Dave

I don't think you're being too negative, Dave. I think your comments are right on... Ralph

Comment

So now it seems there are 2 iSeries Nations. Or 1 iSeries Nation with 2 parallel organisations. But IBM supports the independent one, or at least doesn’t oppose it. Or something. Went over to have a look at the new one and decided to sign up only to find I was already registered. A few days ago when I thought I was on the “classic” iSeries Nation site I was told I would have to re-register to retain my citizenship, so I did. Or so I thought. But it now appears I was actually signing up to the new organisation. The new site claims "The iSeries Nation is the focal point..." (Note the present tense and the definite article) "...for users, vendors, software developers and those who want to find out more about this amazing computer system." That’s nice. So what makes it suddenly the focal point? Maybe the great interactive forums. So where are they? Beats me because once you’ve signed up how do you log on? I certainly can’t find a way. On the home page it says "This site is open to IBM'rs, Users, and Vendors. Locate iSeries resources, participate, tell others." Of course it’s open. Without a log on what there is of it is open to everyone with an Internet connection, but participation is a little difficult. It’s not even easy to find an e-mail address to send a comment to. Clue: it’s at the bottom left of the sign-up page, and it turns out to be Bob Cancilla of Ignite400. On the site information page it boasts about the iSeries hardware and software the site is running on. It claims "This site is delivered on a 2 mbs E2 circuit from Ascot, UK". That’s all quite unfortunate as it’s not very far down the road from me and so far I’m finding it embarrassingly s-l-o-w. We also learn "We use IBM's Net.Data macro facility for many of our interactive features." What interactive features are they? Oh well, I suppose we’ll find out as the site matures. My favourite bit so far is what we British term a "schoolboy howler" on the site information page. "We do not compete with IBM's iSeries Nation web site but work to compliment it with information and material that might not be feasible for IBM to provide." I’m not sure IBM were fishing for compliments for the "classic" site, but a parallel site that complemented it might just be useful. My least favourite bit is the easily missed very last box on the sign-up page. "Would you be interested in hearing about items of interest from qualified business associates?" The default is "Y". If you don’t want spam from your citizenship you have to opt out. I’m frankly disappointed that Ignite400 are associated with such a shabby marketing device. Maybe I’m being a little bit too negative before this thing has got off the ground, but I was not really sure what iSeries Nation Classic was really meant to achieve, and already we have a splinter group. Dave...

Comment

Ralph, thanks. I'm glad you agree. I thought it might be a little mean to publicise the spelling mistake so I e-mailed Bob Cancilla about it and got a curt "thanks" from him 3 days ago. This morning the howler was still there so I felt justified as they obviously don't think it's important. Netiquette requires us to ignore spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in forums, but on a very public web page like this it's a different matter. If you want to be taken seriously you need to show at least a basic grasp of your mother tongue. I wonder if the term "iSeries Nation Classic" will stick. If so we need a catchy soubriquet for the upstart. "iSeries Nation Lite" would seem to fit the bill so far, but hopefully will not be appropriate for long. Maybe MC could hold a competition. :-) Dave...

Comment

Working...
        X