Spool to Email and other Utilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spool to Email and other Utilities

From what I hear, a lot of iSeries (AS/400) installations are afraid of shareware. I think they're afraid they're going to get dependent on something and then when they have a problem, find out there's no support for it. At the same time, I understand Brad Stone has done pretty well with bvstools.com, so there does appear to be some merit to your suggestion.

A comment was made in another thread about IBM and the direction its taking the AS/400. One of the people commented on what we all generally know - that theres a lot of old machines out there, running old versions of OS/400. All this Java stuff and Websphere is technically great, but in a lot of cases, not a lot of help for the customers, who really care a lot for the dollars it all costs! What we really need is usefull utilities that can visibly make a difference,for a relatively small cost. Part of the reason OS/2 failed was its pricing structure relative to windows 3.0 at the time. I could buy Win 3.0 out of petty cash/repairs+maint money, OS/2 would require formal P/O sign off. Just about ALL OS/400 s/ware requires Capex signoff, as it is all in the many thousands of dollars. NOT to give anyone a free plug, BUT i've had a look at some as/400 shareware tools (BVTOOLS) , particularly the spool related ones, and for a price i can call repairs+maint, i can actually get something quite usefull! The point i'm getting at is that with all the GURU's out there, and particulary on this site, i'm sure sets of cheap usefull utilties could be written AND SOLD. If it was kept to the Win 3.0 idea to sell volumes cheap, then i reckon it would be sucessfull, and we ALL would benefit. Ian.

Comment

Some organizations do fear shareware to an extent because of the capability that a single person has created such a piece of software and then may decide to discontinue enhancements and upgrading in the future. Other products that some prefer to use/not use because of this was TAATOOLS. Because of the functions that TAATOOLS (and SPLTOOL/SPL2MAIL from BVSTOOLs) provides, the amount of case spent compared to the amount of time that may need spent to develop from scratch is a major plus. As with such software, it may be needed that in-house upgrades (Y2K fix to TAATOOLS) are necessary from time-to-time. My only suggestion would be to ensure that such shareware is obtained from a reputable guru and not from someone that is just attempting to make quick money and then disappear in a year. BVSTOOLS knowing that Bradley Stone continues to be active within the ISeries community writing texts and upgrading is one that we have implemented and are quite happy with.

Comment

Working...
      X