X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condolences from Mark Fleming, Original Founder of MC

Mr. Fleming, You did it once, why not do it AGAIN!?!?!. Joe Wells

Condolences from Mark Fleming, Original Founder of MC

It's tempting, but I'm not sure I have it in me again.

Comment

This time you have friends. mailto:105445.2515@compuserve.com

Comment

"It's tempting, but I'm not sure I have it in me again." -------------------------------------------------------------- This does bring up some interesting questions. What would it take to rescue some or all of MC at this sad point in time? It has been said by some now former employees that the company was not losing money. Maybe this forum could become a meeting place for anyone willing to invest some time and/or dollars in a last ditch rescue attempt. Is anyone willing to lead such an attempted rescue? Is there anything the MC forums users can do to help? Is someone already trying to pick up the pieces behind the scenes? Are the numbers of subscriptions to MC magazine up or down? Are we a dying breed as a forum user recently proclaimed? What do we really believe is the future of the iSeries? I for one am pessimistic as far as the small and mid-size accounts are concerned. This sudden sad fate of MC is just one more reason for my pessimism. Let us remember that MC is not the first publisher to stop printing. Does anyone remember "Midrange Systems" and there was yet another AS/400 oriented magazine with the word "Systems" in its title. Unfortunately, I forget the exact final name when it went under a few years back. Or is this just an example of another case of consolidation in industry? What do you think? ---------------------------------------------------------- Mark - Yes, some of us do remember your name. Many thanks for being the one to start MC in the first place!

Comment

One place to start maybe is get a list of all the big users of 400s; and see what they would be willing to do. bobh

Comment

There'd be much more possibility in a webzine. Paid subscription signons, a faster changing dynamic content, no postage fees, a link into a virtual community to get help developing programs from the articles a low enough cost so both 5250 and web approach ideas could be published free advertising supported forums a living, growing library of articles and how to's a wish list from subscribers of subjects to write about whiteboard collaboration sessions requests for code that can be supplied on demand for fees Those are some advantages of a web served magazine, with no paper, printing, and postage costs making it far easier to be profitable, and the interactiveness providing timely response that a business can recognize as additional value add. Regards, Ralph

Comment

I heard a few days ago that Midrange Computing has closed it's door. What a shame. If you don't recognize my name, I am the original founder of Midrange Computing, and I'm sorry to say now, the one who sold the company to IIR a few years back. I believe MC was a valuable resource for any AS/400 programmer/analyst and it surely will be sorely be missed by many. In the early days, Richard Shaler and I put years of 12-14 hour days into building the magazine (on top of some other work we did to get by then). I even remember having our sleeping bags at the office. We then added what I believe were some of the finest people in the AS/400 community to our family and the company flourished. Later, Michael (the Hunt Dog) John son brought us to the next level with his entrepreneurial and marketing talents; MC grew in ways I had never even dreamed. It was quite a ride. I want to thank all of you supported us. I am very, very sorry that it has ended this way. Mark Fleming mark@flemingfamily.com San Leis Obispo, CA

Comment

Working...
              X