"TigerTools Says It Can Remove OS/400 Governors"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "TigerTools Says It Can Remove OS/400 Governors"

I hope it stops the madness! If someone trys it, let us how it works. Any guesses on who the programmer(s) is(are)? I wonder how long until a PTF disables it? Brian

An interesting question Brian. My thoughts are, since removing CFINTxx can add literally millions to a sale of a single 840, IBM is going to move lightning quick on this one. Dave

Comment

I was thinking about it, while I'm very glad someone did this, I wouldn't want to sell an iSeries to a customer based upon using this. "Sorry, Ms. Customer, but after that last PTF, you're going to have to spend big bucks to make your machine go again for interactive users." It sucks that IBM continues to stick it to loyal customers by charging them extra for using applications developed with the tools that IBM itself provided. I wonder if the same thing will eventually happen with WebSphere? Brian

Comment

I wonder if the same thing will eventually happen with WebSphere It sort of has anyway with WAS 4.0. WAS 3.5 Standard Edition was free, but WAS 4.0 costs big bucks and has no free components. If that's not bait and switch, I don't know what is.

Comment

This was on the Midrange-L list today: I am responding to some of the questions our IBM customers/Business Partners are asking relative to the Fast400 product offered by TigerTools: Fast400 is not a program that IBM either supports or endorses. Fast400 appears to be a "patched" program that alters the identification of interactive workloads. IBM's long standing advice has been, and continues to be, to not run patched programs. Running patched programs can result in unexpected or unreliable system behavior. TigerTools is not an IBM Business Partner. In fact, IBM has no history with TigerTools and has no knowledge of their ability to support Fast400. They appear to have come on the scene only very recently, via creation of a website, there seems to be little other available information about TigerTools. As with any software provider, customers should evaluate whether or not TigerTools offers the type of support structure they require. IBM agreements prohibit customers from activating, or allowing a third party product to activate, built in capacity without authorization from and payment to IBM. In addition, the agreements prohibit the use of licensed code for any purpose other than to enable the machine to operate in accordance with its specifications, make back-up copies or to display code for maintenance purposes. Putting aside the fact that running Fast400 may enable interactive capacity for which you have not paid, you need to consider the following: IBM will make adjustments to OS/400 to address the unauthorized enablement of unpaid for capacity ... whether it be interactive, processor, DASD, etc. Ed Fishel, edfishel@US.IBM.COM

Comment

Pretty clear about that, aren't they? :-)

Comment

> TigerTools is not an IBM Business Partner. In fact, IBM has no > history with TigerTools and has no knowledge of their ability to > support Fast400. They appear to have come on the scene only very > recently, via creation of a website, there seems to be little other > available information about TigerTools. As with any software > provider, customers should evaluate whether or not TigerTools offers > the type of support structure they require. According to TigerTools. They did not write the software, they are only a marketing firm. The true author(s) of the package remain unknown. > IBM agreements prohibit customers from activating, or allowing a third > party product to activate, built in capacity without authorization > from and payment to IBM. Ah, and here is the sticking point. IBM has officially maintained for years that the QCFINT "governor" is not a governor, that the reduction in performance of interactive jobs is due to "technical" reasons. I think their only defense at this point is to be very plain and say "Yes, we really do artificially limit interactive response and in fact degrade interactive response below the rated CPW if the customer workload execeeds what they paid for. No, customers really do not get any beneficial hardware when they pay the hardware cost to enable more interactive power." Otherwise, how can IBM claim that Fast400 provides built-in capacity via software? > Putting aside the fact that running Fast400 may enable interactive > capacity for which you have not paid, If I write a Visual Basic program that communicates to a batch program via dataqueues and emulates interactive response, have I done the same thing? > you need to consider the > following: IBM will make adjustments to OS/400 to address the > unauthorized enablement of unpaid for capacity ... whether it be > interactive, processor, DASD, etc. Fear, uncertainty and doubt? Bill

Comment

Bill Robins wrote: IBM has officially maintained for years that the QCFINT "governor" is not a governor, that the reduction in performance of interactive jobs is due to "technical" reasons. I can't wait to see what comes next! Dave

Comment

Dave,
                  Just for kicks, I'll reproduce my response to Ed's message on the MI400 mailing list here:
                  Ed, first off, can you make the distinction here between whether you are responding as Ed Fishel who happens to work for IBM and Ed Fishel responding -for- IBM.
                  > IBM agreements prohibit customers from activating, or allowing a third > party product to activate, built in capacity without authorization from and > payment to IBM.
                  Do you really mean "activate beyond the purchased capacity"?
                  Will IBM be changing this document: http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase...002037e/a15fc5 71478b82018625676900555dc1?OpenDocument
                  To quote one of the paragraphs: "On a server or custom server model, there are two CPW values. The larger value represents the maximum workload the model could support if the workload were entirely client/server (for example, no interactive components). The smaller CPW value represents the maximum workload the model could support if the workload were entirely interactive. These values are not additive. Interactive processing reduces the client/server processing capability of the system."
                  I notice the usage of the word "could" which tends to reinforce IBM's prior stance that the limitation on interactive CPW was a hardware issue, thus the need for an Interactive processor card to help the server service interactive jobs. IBM has always maintained previously that CFINT was NOT a governor but a technical necessity to give a server model the ability to service an interactive workload.
                  Has the Fast400 program now forced IBM to publicly admit that the interactive CPW is limited by an artifical governor which can be officially raised only by the purchase of a hardware card that really doesn't do any processing but tells the system the new interactive workload knee?
                  Bill
                  > I can't wait to see what comes next!

Comment

Well, Websphere is a "strategic" product. As we know, that's the death knell to any product within IBM. Just ask OS/2 users! chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Shannon O'Donnell" wrote in message news:2100a91c.3@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | I wonder if the same thing will eventually happen with WebSphere | It sort of has anyway with WAS 4.0. WAS 3.5 Standard Edition was free, but WAS 4.0 costs big bucks and has no free components. If that's not bait and switch, I don't know what is.

Comment

What the heck? I thought we could post html? >
                      Dave,

Comment

Bill Robins wrote: > > What the heck? I thought we could post html? > > >
                        Dave,
                        It's generally a bad idea to do so on any mailing list or usenet. It only increases the length of each post, adds nothing to the value of the post and causes problems for those who use text-based newsreaders (like a friend of mine who happens to be blind. He uses a text-->voice converter.)

Comment

Hey guys, I want to follow up on this, but I don't want to get off topic. Let's continue this conversation in The Web Site folder at http://www.midrangecomputing.com/forum?.210b00e8 Brian

Comment

"October 29, 2001 edition of The Four Hundred newsletter. Industry Intelligence For The Midrange Market A publication from Midrange Server, Inc. http://www.midrangeserver.com[*]************************************************** ****** TigerTools Says It Can Remove OS/400 Governors by Timothy Prickett Morgan The company has launched a product called Fast400, which tricks the green screen governors that IBM has been putting into OS/400 since it first announced server models in 1993. A special program called CFINT within OS/400 is the governor, and it determines how much interactive performance within an AS/400 or iSeries machine can be applied to green screen workloads. Skeptics can go to its site at http://www.tigertools.com and download a full demo version to try it out for themselves. Check it out, and let me know how well it works."[*]************************************************** **** The above words are quoted from the October 29, 2001 edition of The Four Hundred newsletter by Timothy Prickett Morgan. I would suggest reading the entire newsletter.

Comment

Fast400 Governor-Buster Code Changes Hands by Timothy Prickett Morgan Click here for the latest - http://www.midrangeserver.com/tfh/tfh112601.html#1

Comment

Working...
                              X