coupla points ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coupla points ...

Hans, 1) I don't want an OS that's modifiable. Being in management, that's a huge risk. Telling me I needed a new guru was not news, but the damage was done. Support for Linux is sketchy and unreliable. Linux companies' stock are worth $350 one day and shortly after that they're worth $3.50. Who will be left. It's too soon to put your eggs in that basket. 2) As I said in an earlier post, Linux appliances are fine. They sit and run. Most web services on Linux fall in the appliance category. However, if they need to run a database you can bet your house that the backend is probably not Linux. Oracle and Linux don't mix well. I can vouch for that personally. The backend is probably a Sun machine for those domains. 3) IBM claimed at COMMON that 80% of the worlds business databases are on AS/400s and iSeries using DB2/400. I'd be embarrassed to tell you what percentage Linux is. That just shows you that every product has it's niche. 4) 5 years ago almost all routers used for domains were Ascend, today it's Cisco. Even behemoth trends can change quickly. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Hans Boldt" wrote in message news:218def6d.0@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | 1) Yes, you get what you pay for. If you need support for 24/7, you pay for support. Or you pay for competent on-call staff. Nothings different in that respect between open-source and closed-source software. (If your 3AM crash was due to your guru's system mods, then perhaps you need a new guru.) | | 2) The last statistics I saw showed that 31% of all domains ran on Linux servers. Another 11% ran on FreeBSD. That is, roughly 42% of all internet domains were on open-source operating systems. That's a lot of sites that consider open-source operating systems "ready for prime-time". (To avoid embarrassment, I won't even mention where OS/400 ended up in that survery.)
Working...
X