HELP , going #%#%^ soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP , going #%#%^ soon

Hello all, Thank you for any help in advance. Heres the sit. Basically I'm trying to create an OVERLAY so that we can print As400 data to a network lazer. - I have created my AFP printer(IBM AFP 3112) as per our alpha geek } - I have created my "OVERLAY" in word. Heres where things don't go as I've read them. According to MC May/2000 I should be saving the doc to the QDLS lib through Network Neighborhood, but lo and behold it doesn't exist (don't know why). Doesn't matter I'll save it on the PC. Now I take my doc and print it to the AFP printer to create a .prn file which should also be saved to QDLS?? see previous. So now I have a prn file, I fire up OPNAV and find folder QDLS and drag my .prn file form Win exporer to the QDLS folder. Comes back with some message but when I go to the folder OVERLAYS it is there I then execute the following code as per the article in MC, the RCDLEN was increased as per Redbook PRINTING V otherwise I got the file has been truncated. PS.. because of the info required on the form I am printing Landscape. ----------------------------------------------------------------- CRTPF FILE(QGPL/OVERLAYS) RCDLEN(32766) lvlchk(*no) maxmbrs(*nomax) File OVERLAYS created in library QGPL. Member OVERLAYS added to file OVERLAYS in QGPL. CPYFRMPCD fromflr(overlays) tofile(qgpl/overlays) fromdoc(ippo1.prn) tomb r(ippo1) trntbl(*none) trnfmt(*notext) Member IPPO1 created in file OVERLAYS in library QGPL. PC document copied to physical file member. CRTOVL OVL(QGPL/IPPO) FILE(QGPL/OVERLAYS) MBR(overlays) File OVERLAYS in QGPL not valid for creating a *OVL. Printer resource type *OVL IPPO was not created in library QGPL. ----------------------------------------------------------------- When all is said and done I get nothing from this sequence of events. Sit 2. Files names have been changed in this process. I have done everything up to creating the .prn file. I then fire up AFP Workbench Viewer and display my prn file, beautiful work of art. From there I go to FIle and select CREATE OVERLAY, finally something that makes sense, I create my Overlay. Then I use the data transfer to AS400 option and Create my file on the 400 and transfer the file. Success or so I think. I setup a test CL as follows: PGM DCL VAR(&PO#) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(6) VALUE('654321') ------------------------------------------------------* OVRPRTF FILE(QSYSPRT) PAGRTT(90) UOM(*CM) + FRONTOVL(QGPL/IMPPO 0 0) OUTQ(WHSELASER) CALL PGM(GEMIMPOBJ/IP180) PARM(&PO#) ------------------------------------------------------* ENDPGM Don't Know if PAGRTT is really needed, starting to grasp at anything right about now. Anyway the end result is, sure I get data printing but no fancy boxes etc. ARRRG }:| Am I missing something or doing something wrong?? Nobody here seems to know. Tanks for any help. Michael

HELP , going #%#%^ soon

Are you able to map a network drive directly to QDLS? (Right click Network Neighborhood etc). If so then from Word, direct your output to QDLS. Maybe something is being lost when you transfered it to QDLS. Also the DEVTYPE on the printer file must be *AFPDS. And finally, when your program creates the spooled file, are you able to view it in Operation Navigator correctly?

Comment

HELP , going #%#%^ soon

Well QDLS doesn't seem to show up in the list of Shared directories. I can display in OPNAV but it displays without the overlay.

Comment

HELP , going #%#%^ soon

Michael, Hope this helps out, when we use overlays we create the 'overlay' in a PC program(currently using Corel), we print the overlay to a pc file(file.oly) using a print driver contained in Client access, We print the overlay(.oly file) to a folder in the AS400, then do the CPYFRMPCD & CRTOVL commands. The overlays are just logo's and pictures that we get to print using the DDS keyword OVERLAY, On the forms that we are printing on laser printers all the lines/boxes/fonts... are done using DDS keywords. There is some info about this in AS/400 Guide to Advanced Function Presentation and Print Services Facility. Good luck.

Comment

HELP , going #%#%^ soon

The only differences I see in what you're doing and what I'm doing are: 1)I do a CRTPF FILE(library/file) RCDLEN(8201) LVLCHK(*NO) 2)When I save the .prn file I save it to my mapped drive (to QDLS/xxxx) I'm not sure why QDLS is not available in your shared folders, when I map a drive I simply double click on the 400 system then select QDLS. Also, I'm able to view the spooled file in OpsNav, overlay and all.

Comment

HELP , going #%#%^ soon

I was having the same problem and did like Steve do. Instead of saving it to a .PRN file, I save it under .OLY file and it's working. Gilbert

Comment

HELP , going #%#%^ soon

The only differences I see in what you're doing and what I'm doing are: 1)I do a CRTPF FILE(library/file) RCDLEN(8201) LVLCHK(*NO) 2)When I save the .prn file I save it to my mapped drive (to QDLS/xxxx) I'm not sure why QDLS is not available in your shared folders, when I map a drive I simply double click on the 400 system then select QDLS. Also, I'm able to view the spooled file in OpsNav, overlay and all. ============================================== Slightly confused, I also create a file with CRTPF recl(8201).... to use in the CPYFRMPCD command. This then is input to the CRTOVL command. I do not use .prn files, but rather .oly files, Not sure I understand why you stated that QDLS is not available in my shared folders, after the image is created in Corel, I print it to the .oly file into a shared folder, Since you are able to view the spool file with OpsNav, it would seem that when the spool file is sent to a printer what prints on the paper should closely resemble what is seen in OpsNav, What prints on the paper?

Comment

HELP , going #%#%^ soon

Michael - In your first scenario you use the command CRTOVL OVL(QGPL/IPPO) FILE(QGPL/OVERLAYS) MBR(overlays) referencing IPPO but your overlay name in the previous step is IPPO1. Also, MBR(overlays) should be MBR(*OVL) and you should add the parm DATATYPE(*AFPDS). HTH, Steve

Comment

HELP , going #%#%^ soon

Sorry Steve, the reply was meant for Micheal.

Comment

HELP , going #%#%^ soon

Okay before I go any further my spool file is just standard RPG output and not a PRTF. Is this my problem??

Comment

HELP , going #%#%^ soon

Steve, The only thing that prints on the paper is the data no boxes etc.

Comment

HELP , going #%#%^ soon

It may be your problem, when I do an 8=Attributes next to my overlay I get ..
                         . . Device type . . . . . . . . . . . . . : PRINTER Printer device type . . . . . . . . . : *AFPDS . . 
                        If this is not what you get, try overriding to a print file with *AFPDS.

Comment

HELP , going #%#%^ soon

Daivd, excuse my ignorance but I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say 8=Attributes beside the overlay. Are you doing a WRKOBJ??

Comment

HELP , going #%#%^ soon

Michael, Steve, The only thing that prints on the paper is the data no boxes etc. ============================ Don't have too many ideas left, if the only thing that prints out on the paper is data, I have too ask are you certain that the printer is capable of understanding IPDS, have you ever printed an overlay like this to the same(or any) printer at your shop before? Also the job log of the spool(print) writer may give a clue, any messages in qsysopr??? My limited experience with this stuff tells me that if you can see the overlay in the spool file correctly displayed with OpsNav, then you are home free(almost). Problems then are with the printer. You are already aware of the printer file being *AFPDS. It does not matter if the print file is externally defined. Wish I could tell you more......

Comment

HELP , going #%#%^ soon

Steve, Thanks for your help. If the file would come up in OPSNAV with the overlay then I would suspect the printer, but not even that is happening. The fact that I can't find QDLS through NET neighbohood is also frustrating. Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X