Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solution to flaky LAN DEVD Printing over WAN !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solution to flaky LAN DEVD Printing over WAN !!

Can anyone help ?? I am consulting in a company which has three centralised AS400 systems printing to remote printing devices across a frame relay WAN. These three systems cover the world. One in America, one in Europe and one in ASIA and printing can be over large distances. The printing has been set up with LAN DEVD..however due to a combination of factors including, size of the spool files, network traffic, timing settings on the printer, and the DEVD, competition from local LAN print jobs, age of the printers, capacity of the printers/ various models being used etc etc... we are getting a lot of problems with message "CPD337F message - Remote device rejected an attempt to open a connection" I know this can be a common error, (latest PTF's have been applied and we are at V4R5) however in lots of cases the printer ends up with nothing printing, the spool files in RDY status and just going nowhere. My research suggests that LAN DEVD type set up can be susceptible to this type of problem and it remains difficult to balance timing settings at both ends. With hundreds of different types of printers in different countries this is a support nightmare...any support involves the users sending the config page/changing printer settings and me trying to set the DEV settings Activation timer etc etc.....in some cases this does work ( I have used LPR to the printer in one or two cases) however would anyone be able to discuss alternatives or a more stable and easily managed alternative? My best option was to (where available) use a local print server (NT/Novell/Windows) and route all traffic through that....using RMTOUTQ with LPR/LPD as it's designed for this process. I have a number of reasons... 1. Simplified configuration on the AS/400 system. 2. Local Server is better equipped, (memory wise) and OS wise to handle this task to accept large spool files arriving from the WAN 3. Printing is managed at the local level once the files have arrived from the AS/400. Hopefully, this will cut down on the number of support calls. 4. Printers generally have more software drivers for NT/Novell. However having said this the limited functionality of RMTOUTQ LPR/LPD is making me question this approach. Can anyone provide stable alternatives other than this ? (but not Client Access Print sessions )....?? Thanks to anyone who replies....

Solution to flaky LAN DEVD Printing over WAN !!

Just to let you know I am having the exact same problems take a look at my most recent threads there is some good info being given for certain device settings...... Also do a search on on the different messages there is a lot of old info around on this

Comment

Working...
    X