RS/600 to AS/400 Printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS/600 to AS/400 Printing

We're attempting to send reports from an RS/6000 to an AS/400 print queue. The spooled files are arriving fine, but they are in *USERASCII format. Is there any way to send spooled files from an RS/6000 to an AS/400 and have them arrive in either *SCS, *IPDS or *AFPDS format? Or is there any way to manually convert them after they arrive? Thanks in advance! -Steve

Just a small question WHY? Anders

Comment

I too wonder Why? Why are you sending the reports to the AS/400? Is it just to print them? What type of printers are you using? Are they Twinax connected or do they also connect to the network? If you are sending them just to print and the printers are connected to the Lan, simply print them to the printer (don't know RS/6000 but you should be able to set up the printer on it). If you are just printing them and the printers are not connected to the Lan you might want to consider the small cost of making them Lan printers with an Ethernet or Token-ring card.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. What we were attempting to do was send reports from an RS/6000 to an AS/400 as sort of an interface. We have a software package on the RS/6000 that generates purchase orders that need to be sent to the AS/400. The vendor had given us a 6-12 month time line for developing their end of the interface. Since all of the information that we need is already on their printed purchase order, I figured that we could simply direct the report to a queue on the AS/400 where it could be copied to a physical file and have the perinent data parsed out. This way, we could avoid waiting for a "real" interface to be developed. Our RS/6000 programmer was able to get this to work by using an ASCII to EBCDIC dd filter on the RS/6000 virtual print queue. We also had to change the DEVTYPE from *DEVASCII to *SCS on the printer file QUSRSYS/QPTMPLPD on the AS/400. Everything works now. We can also use this to send large reports from the RS/6000 to our twinax connected AS/400 line printer. -Steve

Comment

Steve - Could you tell me more about this? I also would like to get RS6000 reports to the AS400. My reason is that I want to take this RS6000 report and merge it with data on the AS400 through an electronic forms package to print one report with information from both boxes. How well is your solution working? How easily can I accomplish what I'm trying to do? I'd appreciate your comments!

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X