External Lexmark cards causing problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Lexmark cards causing problems

We have mainly Lexmark and IBM printers using the external Lexmark cards. It seems that Lexmark has changed the microcode for the external cards and this is causing problems with their own printers. The older cards (we call them black boxes because of thier color) seem to work just fine but we have a few that are old and starting to fail. What we need is an ethernet card that will allow us to connect our printers to the AS/400 via *LAN. An IBM 6400 with an internal ethernet card (from IBM) can only be connected as a remote printer (go figure IBM Printer for the AS/400). We have several Lexmark Optra's that we use for both Lan & AS/400 printing (including printing checks from the AS/400). What I'm looking for is some suggestions for ethernet cards (external because the Optra's can't have internal cards, at least the ones we have) that will allow us to connect the printers using the *LAN option and print from both the AS/400 and the Network. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried creating a remote outq? For instance:
     CRTOUTQ OUTQ(LASER) RMTSYS(HP3) RMTPRTQ(RAW1) CNNTYPE(*IP) DESTTYPE(*OTHER) MFRTYPMDL(*HPIII) 
    creates outq 'LASER' to remote system HP3 (which is in my HOST table). This printer is shared between the 400 and the pc's on our network. In your case MFRTYPMDL would be *LEXOPTRA - prompt up the selection list and choose your specific model. Also the RMTPRTQ(RAW1) is HP specific. Also, Lexmark does make network ready printers with an internal NIC. You should take a look at the Printing IV redbook http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/GG244389.html HTH Tom

Comment

The problem with Remote Writers is that not all printing capabilities work. An example is that you cannot print specific page ranges. I have not tried to print laser checks on a remote printer but the printer has to be defined as IPDS. The other problem is we use software from Infinium which can have different attributes on the printer files. Not all of which we are confident will work on a remote printer. The Lexmark printers we have, and not all of them, do not have the capability to have an internal card. I think I found what I'm looking for from Lexmark. It seems that our vendor incorrectly informed our person that is in charge of the connectivity of the printers to the network and AS/400 (hardware wise) that lexmark is no longer making a straight ethernet card. According to Lexmark's website they are still being made and sold. It seems that the vendor is trying to sell us is a Print Server and all we need is an ethernet card.

Comment

If you change the CNNTYPE to *LEXLINK rather than *IP I think the page range problem will go away - but that parm might not be available on CRTOUTQ, maybe on CRTDEVPRT. One other parameter to check into is Host print transform... set it to 'yes' TRANSFORM(*YES). I'm not 100% positive but I think this will handle IPDS to PCL for you.

Comment

The create output queue command only allows *IP. This is the problem. If you use the *LAN option then you get the lexmark option. Therefore, the only real way to set up the printer using a lexmark card is through the *LAN type when creating the device.

Comment

Glen, We have just been through a major printing failure problem because we upgraded to V4R5. We have older Lexmark MarkNet XLS boxes, and these do not work properly at remote sites after the upgrade to V4R5 (IBM tell us the problem is that TCP/IP is more stringent to the standards under V4R5 and the MarkNet XLS boxes do not quite adhere - not a problem at V4R4 however). We are changing over to HP JetDirect boxes rather than newer Lexmark boxes because we are basically buying HP printers now - the new printers have the JetDirect NIC built in, so we will use JetDirect boxes on the older printers for consistency. As a point of interest, Lexmark are not prepared to fix the problem in the XLS boxes so you have to replace them when you go to V4R5. There is no warning in the V4R5 notes (or there wasn't three weeks ago). Russell

Comment

Russell, We are using a combination (now at least) of the Lexmark Marknet Pro and the Lexmark Marknet X2000. The X2000 is the one causing problems (we are only at V4R4) because it is a print server and not a straight ethernet card (as far as we can tell). I think they are 2 different products. I can't tell by there website.

Comment

Perhaps, you may have better success sending all AS/400 print jobs via your network print server....you can use LPR/LPD to set up remote out queues directed to the NT server and then add the ports for the printers in NT (or novell or W2K).....it may help alleviate this problem.....I always found the lexmark external adapters couldn't always handle switching the traffic from LAN and AS/400 but when it all went via the LAn print server it was fine..!!

Comment

We can't use remote output queues because of our laser checks and other reports that will/may cause us to have to print a specific page or pages. *LAN is our only option.

Comment

Working...
                  X