Printing on Zebra Z140 through Client Access Express

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing on Zebra Z140 through Client Access Express

Back in 1997 I had one of our Z140xiII's hooked up to a IBM 3487 dumb terminal. I had problems at first but finally got things working when I set the emulation to 4201-1/2 and the printer type to 4214 (proprinter). One of the problems that I did have was a label that had a 1/2" x 1/8" black bar with the words MY ERROR underneath it whereever a barcode was supposed to be. We eventually got this resolved. I have my notes from that era, but there were several things that we did during that time and I am no longer sure exactly what cured that problem. We had Mark Magic on our AS/400 and the formats were created in our Mark Magic. The application passed information to these formats for printing. Our progress basically went to dead stop soon after that due to other reasons. We are now visiting the label issue again. We have connected the Z140 to a PC running Client Access Express (I tried the Z140xi and had problems. When I hooked up a Z140xiII, my problems (seemed to be memory in the printer) cleared up.) I can send label format prints from Mark Magic to that printer and they print just like they should. Our third party software vendor brought down label formats they created and loaded them and their programs to print labels. They were able to print their label formats. When they started trying to print labels from the application program, they got the same error that I got back in 1997 (black bar with MY ERROR). I am not sure they were sending the barcode information down correctly (sending the check digit when I think they might have had the parameter set for the check digit to be computed). They took the printer back to their office and ran into the same problem there. When they hooked it up to a dumb terminal, they had success, so it appears that the data itself is correct. Are there any emulation settings that might be causing this problem using Client Access Express. Thanks for any help you can give me,

There isn't a stright forward answer to your question but here as some things that you could possible try Put the print in debug mode so it prints out all the hex when you send you print to it, What you need to do is follow the data streem down untill you get to your bar code bit, You then need to compare the chars you have to what you should have in the programming book. You may find just one char is not correct and hence your problem. If you then compare your dump to whats been sent from the AS400 you may see the same char in question has been changed during the printing process. This happens down to code pages of the AS400 vrs the PC etc. 1) Try changing the Client Access to configure your printer session to do Host Print Transform. This means all code page stuff is done on the AS400. This will reduce the number of translations going on. 2) If that fails another trick is to change the configuration of the printer, I think in windows, to print to a text file. Once you send your print you will get all the codes etc in a .txt file on your PC. You can then take this file and correct it or change it to the correct codes etc and then send this file to the printer. (use a simple editor, outside of windows if possible DOS eidt is good) You can do this as many times as necassary untill you get the right results and then you can go back to the AS400 and make the change or get your supplier to make the changes in you source etc to get the right data streem 3) A Final thought is have you thought of a direct twin axe or a network connection. They may cost some money but both methods are reliable. The final thing I can say is that I have managed to set up a number of Zebra printers in the same way and have eventually after some messing had sucess. printing PDF417,EAN128 Bar code etc

Comment

sorry for the late reply but I found using a cheap and cheerful jetdirect print server with a rmtoutq worked fine.....

Comment

Um Jason, do you realize that we have no context to what you are replying to?
        Bill
        sorry for the late reply but I found using a cheap and cheerful jetdirect print server with a rmtoutq worked fine.....

Comment

Comment

Bill, Sorry I assume everyone knows this but then I guess this is why we have forums....to share these things I set up 3 Zebra printers a few years back and I remember vaguely we had similar problems...and to solve I did the following connected the Zebra printers to the network /AS400 using a HP jetdirect print server .....(later I used the internal Zebra network cards ) created a TCP/IP output queue like this CRTOUTQ OUTQ(QUSRSYS/ZEBRA1) RMTSYS(*INTNETADR) RMTPRTQ('queue_name') CNNTYPE(*IP) DESTTYPE(*OTHER) MFRTYPMDL(*NONE) WSCST(QGPL/ZEBRA) INTNETADR(' 123.45.6.78') DESTOPT('XAIX') SEPPAGE(*NO) (you can dispense with the internet address if you add a name to the host table - CFGTCP option 10) start the writer with STRRMTWTR command the queue name you can obtain from printing the config of the printer....(if its an internal card) or will be RAW for HP jetdirect (or RAW1) The WSCST object can be created by first retrieving the source of an existing driver RTVWSCST and then deleting all of the code in it.....using SEU...and then compiling it CRTWSCST.....you will need to read up on this (see previous problems in this section) there are also instructions available see 'AS400 Printing IV' redbook...available for free on the web....or on the AS400 Knowledge base.....or I can explain further if you email me.... HTH...but I will do what I can to assist....

Comment

in the CRTOUTQ command - set writers to autostart parameter to =1....this ensures the writer starts up automatically use CHGOUTQD if already created....

Comment

Working...
              X