Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote device rejected an attempt by the writer to open a connection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote device rejected an attempt by the writer to open a connection.

Hello. Lately we have seen this problem take over our AS/400 printers. Neither Help Desk nor Distributed Systems know what to do so they're not doing anything. Will somebody please let know what is going on or at least give us a direction we can look into (is it the hardware or the network?). We might be sharing the printers with the mainframe. And users can print ok from desktop applications like Word and e-mail. Problem details below. THANKS. Message ID . . . . . . : CPD337F Severity . . . . . . . : 40 Message type . . . . . : Information Date sent . . . . . . : 03/16/01 Time sent . . . . . . : 07:32:49 Message . . . . : Remote device rejected an attempt by the writer to open a connection. Cause . . . . . : This error may have occurred for the following reasons. 1) An incorrect port number or internet address was specified in the printer device description. 2) The remote device, if it is a printer, may be busy printing from another host 3) The remote device, if it is a printer, may not be ready to print and may require operator intervention. Recovery . . . : Do one of the following: 1) Verify that the correct port number and internet address was specified in the printer device description. If a remote location name was used, verify that the internet address for this location name is correct. Start the writer if it has ended and try printin again. 2) No recovery action is required. Printing will continue when the writer is able to use the printer. 3) Ready the printer. Printing will continue when the printer becomes ready to print.

I am having the same problem, it is intermittent though, I see this mostly when the printer runs out of paper or when the printer requires a manual feed of paper as well. I also see this when the printer is busy printing something else and then the AS/400 tries to send spool only to have it timeout. If your using a 3812 device description make sure the activation timer is 170 and the inactivity timer is *sec15. On the printer make sure the job timeout is set to a very high number.

Comment

Hello... Thanks so much. I had both HelpDesk and Distributed Systems look into these parameters and set them up accordingly. From checking these parms, they also realized that the devices still had the old IP addresses from before they converted to Ethernet. Now everything is working fine! Thanks. I didn't think anybody would answer this post but YOU did and that solved the problems!!!

Comment

I have researched this problem thoroughly ...sometimes you can increase the 'activation timer' up to 2550 seconds which allows the printer more time (42 minutes) to wait to print the file....(if it is busy doing word documents etc.) but it is most important to get the timing balanced with LAN printers....and this is explained in all the documentation in the IBM knowledge base...and within documents on MC web sites.......(see article by Paul Tykodi in MC ANE classics (TCP/IP Sockets printing to Laserjet printers) You will find that this problem really does occur more frequently when printing across a WAN (as Paul confirms these are not typically used with intermediate gateways) ... mainly I think due to printers lack of comms ability..( I found the perfect near 100% reliable solution ! for WAN printing over large distances was to ditch LAN printers and go back to RMTOUTQ...but via a server (NT or W2K or AS400 etc...)...before anyone protests....you can get all the functionality you need with page range printing etc...and messages are overrated unless you have too many pre-printed forms....The comms over the WAN is far superior and faster and more efficient between AS/400 and NT (using LPD services) also you don't get conflicts with local print jobs such as 'Word Excel etc. everything arrives at the printer from one source..... I implemented this solution in a Sth America site from an AS400 located in Nth America and there was not one problem reported after this...(before it was constant problems..!.

Comment

Working...
        X