Slow Network Printing Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Network Printing Problem

We have an AS/400 (oops, I mean IS400) connected to an NT network. There are NO direct printers attached to the IS400. All are mapped through the network. My problem is that you can clock most all my printouts with a calendar! This only began after the Lan Admin changed IP addresses for the printers. I'm not sure if there were new switches added as well, or what "Network" changes were made. I was just given the new IP address for the printers and re-mapped them through the system. When I Ping any of the addresses, I get a very good response (1-5) but, when I release a single page print, it could take anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes to get it to print. Any suggestions to check or system changes would be greatly appreciated! Rick Elliott Murray's Discount Auto Stores

Slow Network Printing Problem

How are the printers set up DEVD or RMTOUTQ ? Depending on that, I think there could be a number of possibilities....... Poor memory in the printer combines with size of splf Timing settings in the printer (you should check these anyway) timing settings in the AS400 on both the DEVD (if it is DEVD) and the TCP keep alive Printer could be busy printing from NT (If you use RMTOUTQ direct to the printers, you will find a much better throughput if you set these up to go via the NT Server, and use the NT to distribute the spool files.. this will allow you to eliminate the AS400 waiting while it prints from the network) also, with RMTOUTQ you can specify up to 10 (ten) 'writers' which may increase throughput........but again if the printers are low spec....?? If you have local printers on a LAN then you might be better off switching to DEVD printers.....however you have to be careful again about timing settings...) However, I wouldn't use this over a WAN unless you have no choice..... Check IBM Knowledge base for more info......

Comment

Working...
    X