Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• printing to RMTOUTQ from QGPL/QPRINT

Jim,
    I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to attach that outq to your printer, but I don't work with rmtprtr's so I can't say for certain.
    I created autility that moves spool files from one outq to another, it's included with another utility that deletes spool files based upon certain criteria. If you would like them, let me know.
    Bill
    Is there an easier way to do this? Like, can I change out queue QGPL/QPRINT to automatically print to my remote printer? In other words, can I associate out queue QGPL/QPRINT with a remote printer ?

printing to RMTOUTQ from QGPL/QPRINT

Is there an easier way to do this? Like, can I change out queue QGPL/QPRINT to automatically print to my remote printer? In other words, can I associate out queue QGPL/QPRINT with a remote printer ?
    Of course you can. You could delete QPRINT and re-create it to be exactly like your current remote queue. But are you sure you really want to do this? Everything that goes to ready status on QPRINT should be printed remotely? It could be a lot of bandwidth as well as a lot of trees and toner. Normally QPRINT is used as a catch-all and is not attached to any printer.
    It would be a HUGE job to find all the programs that create this output and change the OVRPRTF paramater to direct them to the remote out queue to print.
    I hope your CL programs do not already have printer file overrides to named printers. That's not too smart as it ties the programs to your configuration, and as you say it's a monumental task to change them all. Generally you should resolve the output queue either through the user profile or the job description. Read the work management guide and experiment with these settings before you go hard coding queue names into your CL programs. Dave...

Comment

Hi Bill, You mentioned that you had a utility that moves spool files from one outq to another. Could you please send me the utility? I think we can make good use of it. You can send it to my e-mail address at: jim.sovick@jostens.com Thanks. Jim Sovick

Comment

TAATOOLS has movsplf, I think. bobh

Comment

You can have a work station, user profile, job discription, or program point your output to a printer, or more importantly an outque. You can attach multiple outques to a printer. The higharchey that determine were a job is printed is the following: 1. The Job 2. The Job Description 3. The User Profile 3.1 The Group Profile 4. The Workstation 5. The System Value (QPRTDEV) Depending on your routing needs is were I would look to point the output. There is good information on this in the AS/400 primer. Chapter 12. Hope this helps. I use remote outque a lot. I personally would look at the Job Description option. Or even the group profile if you use them. Depends on you physicall location and needs.

Comment

Hi, I created a new remote out queue using the following command: CRTOUTQ OUTQ(QUSRSYS/OWBPLJ5PC2) RMTSYS(*INTNETADR) RMTPRTQ('OWBPLJ5PC2') CNNTYPE(*IP) DESTTYPE(*OTHER) MFRTYPMDL(*HP5SI) INTNETADR('167.237.106.240') This new out queue is working very good. Now, the next question... We have "tons" of reports that go to Out Queue QGPL/QPRINT. These reports sit there until they are moved by our system operator to the remote out queue I created above. It would be a HUGE job to find all the programs that create this output and change the OVRPRTF paramater to direct them to the remote out queue to print. Is there an easier way to do this? Like, can I change out queue QGPL/QPRINT to automatically print to my remote printer? In other words, can I associate out queue QGPL/QPRINT with a remote printer ? Thank you !! Jim Sovick

Comment

I believe that you could just rename QPRINT, and then recreate it with the same parameters as you used for your new outq. I don't believe there is a restriction on mulitple remote outqs going to the same address. John Panzenhagen

Comment

Working...
              X