Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is that possible to create a remote outq that saves all spoolfiles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is that possible to create a remote outq that saves all spoolfiles?

Does anyone know the solution to this? I'm sure this will be a helpful trick to everyone!

What do you mean by "save"? Do you mean that after printing, the splf should go to SAV status? Or are you talking about backup of splfs, save to tape? In general, there's a technique of associating a data queue with an output queue. The CRTOUTQ and CHGOUTQ commands have a DTAQ() parm that lets you specify the name of a data queue that will have an entry put in it when a splf goes to RDY status in the outq. The entry contains info about the splf. You can write a program that reads the dtaq and performs some action on the splf, like CHGSPLFA SAVE(*YES). You can find more info at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/h...9.htm#HDRDATAQ Regarding printing from one outq to multiple writers, it's possible for local devices, but I don't know about remote writers, where the outq is defined by an IP address. It's the outq that determines the IP, not the writer job. It's possible to start multiple remote writer jobs for such an outq, but I don't know anything about what that physically means regarding the actual printers. I think it would look something like this: STRRMTWTR OUTQ(MY_OUTQ) WTR(WRITERJOB1) STRRMTWTR OUTQ(MY_OUTQ) WTR(WRITERJOB2) STRRMTWTR OUTQ(MY_OUTQ) WTR(WRITERJOB3) etc. Another way around that would be to define multiple remote outqs, each with a different IP address that corresponds to a physical printer at the destination. Then you'd also have a "master" outq on your local system. Attach a dtaq to the master outq, and the program that reads the dtaq can send each splf to a different outq as it arrives in the master outq. Of course, each splf would print only once on one printer; you may be asking to have the *same* splf print on multiple printers. To do that, you'd have to duplicate the splf in the master outq and put a dup in each remote outq. Duping a splf is left as an exercise for the student....

Comment

This may be a dumb question, but I've been wondering if it's possible to ceate a remote output queue that will save all the spool files that sent to this output queue? Is that possible to write a customized program and put it into the user-defined object parameter?

Comment

Ken, thank you for the informative feedback. I would look up the link at publib.boulder.ibm.com. I'm trying to avoid writing a program to do that (by no means I'm a programmer). Seems like dtaq is the key here to store the info. If I got this resolved, I'll post my solution over next time. many thanks again Jason

Comment

Working...
        X