Upload Excel file to AS/400 PF using C/A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upload Excel file to AS/400 PF using C/A

I wanted to post this because when I tried to find the answer, I couldn't find what I was looking for. I ended up calling IBM for assistance and this works like a champ!!!! We had an issue where a user had downloaded a physical file into an Excel spreadsheet. They had made some changes to the file in Excel and now wanted to put it back onto the AS/400. Here is how we did it. 1) You need an FDF file, therefore download the original physical file using Client Access. Specify that you do want the FDF file created and the type of file to create on the PC should be CSV. (Delete the CSV file because all you need is the FDF.) 2) Save the Excel file as a CSV file. 3) Initiate a C/A file transfer and send the new CSV file down to the original physical file and replace the member. Be sure to specify the FDF here. Worked well for me.

Scott, Yes you can upload a .FDF file. Now for the bad news. I can take your files down to the PC, modify them to fit my needs and the .FDF them back to /400. Scared yet? If not, think of the ramifications of being able to do this from a dial up or internet session. Bet your competitors staff would like that. You also have the ability to 'search' a drive for an important sounding file name on the /400 and process it via Excel or other ODBC driver based program as well. Security now gets complicated. Later, Bret "Paranoia Man" Myrick

Comment

So that is what the exit points are for right?

Comment

I'm not smart enough to know how to use exit points. I just restrict everybody from this unless they really need it. Bret "Take it away, Sam" Myrick P.S. Before the "But your users could be more productive" crowd flames me worse than a Colorado Forrest, I'm just kidding.

Comment

I have worked with many tools. But one of them impressed me much, because of the utility could solve out all my troubles for a minute and moreover I think it might become one of the best determinations for other similar questions - recovering Excel file uable to read file.

Comment

Working...
          X