Phantom devices in Operations Navigator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantom devices in Operations Navigator

Chuck, I think you are a little confused. There is no command WRKSYSSTS *DEV. Could you possibly mean WRKCFGSTS *DEV? How do you know they are twinaxial devices? The best way to show all of the truely twinax devices is the PRTDEVADR, and specify the controller (CTL01, WSCE01 ...)

You're right about the command. Here's what I notice in Operations Navigator... WS01 Operational Workstation Processor CTL01 Operational Workstation Controller DSP023 Resource Not Detected DSP027 Resource Not Detected DSP031 Resource Not Detected ... Many more phantom devices showing... On the Green screen with wrkcfgsts *ctl I get: CTL01 Active CONSOLE Signon Display Here's the REALLY ODD part. Operations navigator doesn't show CONSOLE anywhere!! I've lost a little confidence in Operations Navigator since it doesn't paint a valid picture. It shows items we don't have and misses items we DO have. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Dale W. Brunner" wrote in message news:6ae5476f.0@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | Chuck, I think you are a little confused. There is no command WRKSYSSTS *DEV. Could you possibly mean WRKCFGSTS *DEV? How do you know they are twinaxial devices? The best way to show all of the truely twinax devices is the PRTDEVADR, and specify the controller (CTL01, WSCE01 ...)

Comment

Chuck Ackerman wrote: > Here's what I notice in Operations Navigator... > > WS01 Operational Workstation > Processor CTL01 Operational > Workstation Controller DSP023 Resource Not Detected > DSP027 Resource Not Detected > DSP031 Resource Not Detected > ... > Many more phantom devices showing... I see the same for devices that are not Varied On or for devices configured but not attached. Bill

Comment

When I look at mine I've just got the one device (dsp01) attached to CTL01. Here is a real silly question.... have you updated the inventory in Ops Nav?

Comment

Glen, Not a silly question at all. I just assumed that Operations Navigator was a "real time" on line system. Didn't realize it was a batch system! I'm now collecting the inventory. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Glen Kerner" wrote in message news:6ae5476f.3@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | When I look at mine I've just got the one device (dsp01) attached to CTL01. Here is a real silly question.... have you updated the inventory in Ops Nav?

Comment

Sigh, after a refresh of the inventory nothing has changed. I'm a little concerned about using Operations Navigator if it's going to give me faulty info. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Chuck Ackerman" wrote in message news:63C4FC1BEF77EDBA069D085DA743C06D@in.WebX.Wawy ahGHajS... | Glen, | | Not a silly question at all. I just assumed that Operations Navigator was a | "real time" on line system. Didn't realize it was a batch system! I'm | now collecting the inventory. | | chuck | Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. | | | "Glen Kerner" wrote in message | news:6ae5476f.3@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | | When I look at mine I've just got the one device (dsp01) attached to | CTL01. Here is a real silly question.... have you updated the inventory in | Ops Nav? | |

Comment

Chuck Ackerman wrote: > Sigh, after a refresh of the inventory nothing has changed. I'm a > little concerned about using Operations Navigator if it's going to > give me faulty info. Are you saying that your situation is not as I described earlier? These devices seem to be devices either not varied on or not connected to the system - but are defined. Bill

Comment

Chuck - I think you are seeing the "remains" of workstations which may have been removed from your system previously. I see information like this on my system about several 2 GB disk drives which were removed from the model 200 which has evolved to become my 720. Have you replaced dumb terminals with PCs in the past? On a green screen, enter WRKHDWRSC *LWS and poke around with the information displayed there. HTH, Steve "Chuck Ackerman" wrote in message news:A2F0211FFDEA11D7115F33A8543B89FD@in.WebX.Wawy ahGHajS...
                You're right about the command.
                Here's what I notice in Operations Navigator...
                WS01 Operational Workstation Processor CTL01 Operational Workstation Controller DSP023 Resource Not Detected DSP027 Resource Not Detected DSP031 Resource Not Detected ... Many more phantom devices showing...
                On the Green screen with wrkcfgsts *ctl I get:
                CTL01 Active CONSOLE Signon Display
                Here's the REALLY ODD part. Operations navigator doesn't show CONSOLE anywhere!! I've lost a little confidence in Operations Navigator since it doesn't paint a valid picture. It shows items we don't have and misses items we DO have.
                chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
                "Dale W. Brunner" wrote in message news:6ae5476f.0@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | Chuck, I think you are a little confused. There is no command WRKSYSSTS *DEV. Could you possibly mean WRKCFGSTS *DEV? How do you know they are twinaxial devices? The best way to show all of the truely twinax devices is the PRTDEVADR, and specify the controller (CTL01, WSCE01 ...)

Comment

Steve, It's very strange. Using WRKHDWRSC *LWS shows none of the devices that OpNav shows. In fact, Opened shows some devices as 'OPERATIONAL' that I can't find anywhere on the green screen side. Also Opened does NOT show CONSOLE which is the only twin workstation we have left. Whew. And they want us to start moving to this thing? I think not. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Steve McKay" wrote in message news:6ae5476f.7@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | Chuck - | | I think you are seeing the "remains" of workstations which may have been removed from your system previously. I see information like this on my system about several 2 GB disk drives which were removed from the model 200 which has evolved to become my 720. Have you replaced dumb terminals with PCs in the past? On a green screen, enter WRKHDWRSC *LWS and poke around with the information displayed there. | | HTH, | | Steve | "Chuck Ackerman" wrote in message | news:A2F0211FFDEA11D7115F33A8543B89FD@in.WebX.Wawy ahGHajS... | | You're right about the command. | | | | | | Here's what I notice in Operations Navigator... | | | | | | WS01 Operational Workstation Processor CTL01 Operational Workstation Controller | DSP023 Resource Not Detected DSP027 Resource Not Detected DSP031 Resource | Not Detected ... Many more phantom devices showing... | | | | | | | On the Green screen with wrkcfgsts *ctl I get: | | | | | | CTL01 Active CONSOLE Signon Display | | | | | | Here's the REALLY ODD part. Operations navigator doesn't show CONSOLE | anywhere!! I've lost a little confidence in Operations Navigator since | it doesn't paint a valid picture. It shows items we don't have and misses | items we DO have. | | | | | | chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. | | | | | | | "Dale W. Brunner" wrote in message | news:6ae5476f.0@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | Chuck, I think you are a little | confused. There is no command WRKSYSSTS *DEV. Could you possibly mean | WRKCFGSTS *DEV? How do you know they are twinaxial devices? The best way | to show all of the truely twinax devices is the PRTDEVADR, and specify | the controller (CTL01, WSCE01 ...) |

Comment

Chuck, Have you checked with SST's Hardware Service Manager and looked under "Failed and non-reporting hardware resources"?

Comment

Your terms are getting a bit garbled in the posting process as well as what view you are refering to in Navigator and CL. Could you attach a picture of each so it can more easily be displayed? On another note, when using Operations Navigator there is an indicator in the upper right part of the screen which will indicate when the data was collected that you are viewing or if it done dynamically it will indicate how old the data is. For the cases when a date is shown, the data had been collected so searches can be performed against it (i.e. tell what system Joe is on, tell me what system has PTF xxxx on it...). The inventory also lets enables more advanced functions like comparing PTF levels and exporting data to spreadsheets. There are many articles and presentations on the topics as well on the navigator web site (www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries/navigator).

Comment

Ok, I will supply a picture on the next post. I know it's uncouth to post large items in a newsgroup, so if you have a slow connection, just skip the next post! chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Sue Townsend" wrote in message news:6ae5476f.10@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | Your terms are getting a bit garbled in the posting process as well as what view you are refering to in Navigator and CL. Could you attach a picture of each so it can more easily be displayed? | | On another note, when using Operations Navigator there is an indicator in the upper right part of the screen which will indicate when the data was collected that you are viewing or if it done dynamically it will indicate how old the data is. For the cases when a date is shown, the data had been collected so searches can be performed against it (i.e. tell what system Joe is on, tell me what system has PTF xxxx on it...). The inventory also lets enables more advanced functions like comparing PTF levels and exporting data to spreadsheets. There are many articles and presentations on the topics as well on the navigator web site (www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries/navigator).

Comment

Sue, Here's what OpsNav shows under workstation resources... Here's what WRKCFGSTS *DEV DSP* shows... Notice that on the screen above DSP036 is stated as "operational" but it isn't even displayed on the list below. Strange, eh? "Sue Townsend" wrote in message news:6ae5476f.10@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | Your terms are getting a bit garbled in the posting process as well as what view you are refering to in Navigator and CL. Could you attach a picture of each so it can more easily be displayed? | | On another note, when using Operations Navigator there is an indicator in the upper right part of the screen which will indicate when the data was collected that you are viewing or if it done dynamically it will indicate how old the data is. For the cases when a date is shown, the data had been collected so searches can be performed against it (i.e. tell what system Joe is on, tell me what system has PTF xxxx on it...). The inventory also lets enables more advanced functions like comparing PTF levels and exporting data to spreadsheets. There are many articles and presentations on the topics as well on the navigator web site (www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries/navigator).

clip_image002.jpg

Comment

I see a lot of twinax workstation devices in Operations Navigator that simply don't show up in green screen when I use WRKSYSSTS *DEV. What could be causing these devices to show up one place and not the other? chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

The original post indicated that the system->config/service->hardware container was showing data not available using WRKCFGSTS. This is definitely a confusing point since the OpNav interface for hardware is related to DSPHDWRSC not WRKCFGSTS. The APIs used to obtain data for DSPHDWRSC are the APIs used by the OpNav interface which is why you are seeing differences. There is currently no interface which would directly compare to WRKCFGSTS, though it has been a requirement for sometime. There was also a thread about collecting inventory. When "inventory" or static data is used, the container will indicate "inventory" (i.e. PTF inventory). Typically, this is done so the data can be used in searching a network for information or in more complicated actions like comparing PTF levels. Another indicator will be the top right part of the navigator window which will indicate a 'date/time' instead of "x minutes old". Whenever you see "x minutes old", the data is being retrieved as if interactive. Last, since I was not able to find the data you were seeing in DSPHDWRSC, I am still concerned and would like to see a more formal discussion between yourself and the development team. Please contact service if you would like to initiate that discussion.

Comment

Working...
                              X