Upgrade V4r5 to V5r1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade V4r5 to V5r1

Two areas of concern: OV/400 (It gets wiped out), and SMTP relaying (gets changed for the better). CA/400 V3R2 loses support but remains intact. Other than that, there may be a few APIs to keep your eyes on but I don't know the specifics. Dave

Upgrade V4r5 to V5r1

Hi David, Could you tell me what improvements were made in SMTP relaying? We are heavy users of AS/400 email and will be upgrading to v5r1 in a few months from now. I would be very interested to know beforehand of any changes regarding AS/400 email.

Comment

Upgrade V4r5 to V5r1

Instead of having a file of IP address ranges, you simply have a parameter in the SMTP configuration. The update process takes care of this for you, but doesn't tell you about it. Your address range source member will lilely disappear as a part of the upgrade process. Dave

Comment

Upgrade V4r5 to V5r1

David, Are you saying that the IP address list in the QUSRSYS/QTMSADRLST source file will be replaced by a mere parameter in the SMTP configuration prompt? This looks like a loss of functionality to me. How does this make mail-relay management any better?

Comment

Upgrade V4r5 to V5r1

You'll have to ask IBM that one. Dave

Comment

Upgrade V4r5 to V5r1

FWIW - The CHGSMTPA command has this parameter - Allow relayed mail . . . . . . . ALWRLY *NONE The help screen for this parameter has this to say -[*]LIST Only addresses listed in the accept relay messages list will be relayed. The accept relay messages list can be specified by using perations Navigator SMTP properties pages or by using the ADDSMTPLE command with a value of *ACCEPT specified for the TYPE parameter. I learned about this change the hard way. We do not allow relaying at all. After our upgrade to 5.1, we were suddenly being used as a mail relay by outsiders. The problem was that QUSRSYS/QTMSADRLST had been deleted and the conversion did not properly set the attributes! It took a call to IBM to figure this out (the Info Center still showed that you should use QUSRSYS/QTMSADRLST to block relaying - maybe this has now been fixed.). Good Luck! Joe

Comment

Upgrade V4r5 to V5r1

Thanks! I will make a note on this for our upcoming upgrade activities.

Comment

Upgrade V4r5 to V5r1

Sky, I recently went from 4.5 to 5.2 and it went relatively smoothly. With you going only to 5.1 you will miss one stumbling point in the new Service Tools logic IBM has created. Installs of 5.2 do not allow expired ST profiles to change their own passwords -- a lovely Catch-22 when coming from 4.5. This is the scenario: You run StrSST and it asks for the profile and password to use, you already know about the profiles and case-specific passwords and are prepared. You enter the default password for the profile you are going to use and it replies that the password for that profile is expired and it must be changed. You go to the password change screen and the system will not allow you to change it because of the settings introduced in 5.2. The only fix available? You must restart in manual mode and reset the profile in DST. This would have been an unacceptable scenario had we had a drive go out after the upgrade (which actually happened the week before the upgrade, we'd not been able to do anything in SST until we re-IPL'd). Bill skywalker wrote: > I will upgrade our iSeries 820 v4r5 to v5r1 right after christmas, I > read from some of the postings here that its not very complicated. We > dont use office vision, we dont have logical partition as well as > secondary language. I just want some expert advice from people who > have done it. Please give me some pointers to avoid pitfalls. Thank > you very much. Merry Christmas and a Properous New Year to All.... > > Sky

Comment

Upgrade V4r5 to V5r1

In V5R2 you can't reset the default password to QSECOFR in SST, even if you are not signed on as QSECOFR but have QSECOFR authority?

Comment

Upgrade V4r5 to V5r1

Sky, I plan on doing the same thing in mid-January (yeah, I know, a little late, but better late than never). Would you be kind enough to tell us how it went and which publications (hardcopy and online) gave you the information you really needed? I'm not asking for a minute-by-minute journal, but just an idea of what was useful and maybe what was unexpected. Joe

Comment

Upgrade V4r5 to V5r1

Glen Kerner wrote: > In V5R2 you can't reset the default password to QSECOFR in SST, even > if you are not signed on as QSECOFR but have QSECOFR authority? NO profile may change it's password if that password has expired. In 5.1 this was allowed, but in 5.2 it's a switch setting that is defaulted to not allowed and is unavailable to be changed in 5.2 until the appropriate profile has signed in and changed the setting. Since the only way QSECOFR can sign in to the ST system to change this setting is during an manual IPL, it's an immense oversight by IBM to have it configured this way. Bill

Comment

Upgrade V4r5 to V5r1

Joe, Everything went well last week when I upgrade our 820 to V5r1. IBM send us all the CD's and PTF's and Softwawre installation manual. I did the the automatic installation and It took me about 7 hours loading all the Licence Programs and OS/400. I also asked them to send me PTF's for BPCS 6.02 which they did and apply at the end of installation. I went to www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries/infocenter for some information but theres also a CD that comes with the package. The only problem I encountered after the installation is when we run our BPCS costing program, the sql not working properly. So I read the APAR# II12693 send by SSA and follow the instruction about DB QAQQINI file. Copied it from QSYS to QUSRSYS lib and added the SQL_SUPPRESS_WARNINGS, *YES, Default and it took care of the problem. Other than that, everything was fine. V3r2 version of Client Access Express still working. Its not as complicated as I expected to be. But I'm still observing what might going to happen in the next few days. Everything was documented. Good Luck. Sky

Comment

Upgrade V4r5 to V5r1

I will upgrade our iSeries 820 v4r5 to v5r1 right after christmas, I read from some of the postings here that its not very complicated. We dont use office vision, we dont have logical partition as well as secondary language. I just want some expert advice from people who have done it. Please give me some pointers to avoid pitfalls. Thank you very much. Merry Christmas and a Properous New Year to All.... Sky

Comment

Upgrade V4r5 to V5r1

Thank you, Sky! That's good to know. Now I have to get the process started here to get my CDs and I'll be ready to upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                            X