Vary off Line after Signoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vary off Line after Signoff

If the user signs off using a menu option (and no commands are allowed), then you can change the menu do run a SIGNOFF DROP(*YES). Based on the help text for this, if the line has no other devices on it, the line will be dropped. I assume that dropping the line also does a vary off, but you will need to test that. Also, you could do a CL program that runs from the menu option. It would do a sign off and then a vary off of the workstation. You could try that too. Doug englander.da@mellon.com

Doug, Would you happen to have some code for a VCP that would force the Drop(*yes) anytime that command was used? Thanks, Rich

Comment

When the line is dropped is that varying off the line? I can't really test this option but if the line is being varied off after the last device signs off then this is the solution I'm looking for. does anybody know for sure? The manuals just say the switched line will be dropped. It is the fact that IBM used "dropped" instead of "varied off". We need the line to go to a very off status and not a connect pending status.

Comment

Glen Kerner wrote: > We have a situation where a vendor has been signing into the system > and not notifying us when they are done. What we want to do is set up > a program that when they signoff the line is varied off. I've not > dealt with exit programs and don't know if we should create an exit > program for the signoff command or if we can put it into their > initial program. Glen, What if you specified an Intial Program for their user profile? When they are done, the last lines of this program would do whatever you wanted to accomplish. Bill

Comment

Rich, I am not familiar with the term VCP. Can you briefly explain what it is? Thanks, Doug.

Comment

you can create a vcp for a command to check certain parameters on the command call.

Comment

I looked at that. There are 2 problems, first there can be multiple users signed on and second I can't change their initial program. I also have a problem that the "signoff" command is being executed from the menu to sign off. I could create a program that checks the status of the line and if anybody is actually using it and if not vary it off. But that would mean I have to have this program always running. We have other vendors that connect and transmit data. Those lines must stay varied on (we are not a 24/7 shop). It is only this one line that we want to vary off. The vendor is the software vendor and they keep making changes without notifying us. One more thing. They are connnecting iSeries to iSeries then passing through. I couldn't find the drop option on any of the devices used (Line, Ctl, Dev and Virtual Ctl, dev). I also don't know if they are using endpasthru to signoff. This is a very hot issue with the MIS Director.

Comment

Doug Englander wrote: > Rich, > > I am not familiar with the term VCP. Can you briefly explain what it > is? Validity Checking Program. Bill

Comment

Glen Kerner wrote: > I looked at that. There are 2 problems, first there can be multiple > users signed on and second I can't change their initial program. I > also have a problem that the "signoff" command is being executed from > the menu to sign off. You can't change it because they don't want you to or because they have their own program they want? If they have their own program, just wrap it with your own. Bill

Comment

Bill, So create a 'new' inlpgm that calls there 'original' with your tweak?? Love the idea, I'm going to try and let everyone know. Thanks, Rich

Comment

What I ended up doing as a temporary step was put an call to a program that disables their profile when they sign on. It allows them to do whatever they want but once they sign off they can't sign on again

Comment

Try assigning a job description to the profile that logs everything, including CL commands. Ensure that the log is printed or retained at signoff. Dave

Comment

Would the INACTTMR setting work in your case? Once they stop doing their job and nothing is going across the line, it would disconnect it. You could set it to a few minutes.

Comment

The INACTTMR for the actual line is set at 300, but the line does not disconnect. I wonder if it is because it is two iSeries connected and they are constantly checking if the other is there. Right now the line status is: Opt Description Status -------------Job FCSLINE ACTIVE FCSCTL ACTIVE FCSDEV ACTIVE BLANK ACTIVE/TARGET *PASSTHR As far as I can tell nobody has been signed on for at least 30 minutes but the line stays active. What I would like it to show is vary off. The solution to put a chgusrprf xxx status(*disabled) seems to be working. They keep calling to have us reenable the profiles. I think this is a temporary solution. The joblog was a nice idea except that there menu system doesn't seem to log anything. I think when they go into there system the logging level is changed on purpose.

Comment

If they are constantly polling each other, that would probably keep the line active. If not, and you don't disconnect, it's possible there may be a PTF for you not disconnecting.

Comment

Working...
                              X