Copying spool files from system to system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copying spool files from system to system

Hmmm.... I tried SNDTCPSPLF on our LPAR system, sending one of my splfs from one partition to another, and it appeared just fine. But if I send someone else's splf, it still appears under my profile. Do all your users have profiles on the new system? (I assume both systems are going to be operational at the same time, judging by your message.) If the users have profiles there, but don't have authority to SNDTCPSPLF, maybe you could write a program that the users could run that does SNDTCPSPLF under adopted authority. That way I think the splfs would arrive on the system under their profiles, under a QPRTJOB job. It's not possible to also maintain the same job name, job number, and splf number on the sent splfs, though. Another way might be to copy them over as you described, using SNDTCPSPLF under someone else's profile. Once they're there, you can use SNDNETSPLF to send a copy to the user, and the splf will then exist under the user's profile, "linking it up" with the user. Then delete the originally-sent splf. Or maybe SNDNETSPLF can do it directly, if the users have an appropriate directory entry pointing to the new system. Or CPYSPLF to a PF (one PF per user with multiple members?), copy the PF, and restore the spools from the PF. Or use Operations Navigator to drag them from one system to another. It appears to run SNDTCPSPLF under the covers, so you have the same problem of the file not belonging to the user if it's not the user who transfers it. Or buy one of a number of tools that save/restore/transfer splfs.

I just converted from a model 5oo to a model 270 using save and reload. If both systems have TCP/IP running and different IP addresses (for testing), you can use this to send the spool files from one system to another. Our old 500 system was named HARTZELL & had IP address of 192.168.1.2 Our new 270 system was named HARTZEL2 & had IP address of 192.168.1.3 Both systems were at V5R1M0. After creating the output queues on the old and new systems, you do a STRRMTWTR TRANSFER@S on the old system. Move the spool files you want to copy from the old system into the output queue TRANSFER@S. If you want the spool files kept on the old system, put a save on them SAVE(*YES). Release them so they can be sent to the output queue TRANSFER@R on the new system. The sent spool files will be in RDY status on the new system, so that is why I used a different output queue on the new system so they don't go off and print. I then put them on HLD and moved them to their original output queues on the new system. Copies won't be preserved (and only want 1 copy when being sent anyway)and the date/time created will change to when transfered. You have to release them to be sent so old system now has all files in SAV status when done and new system will be RDY or HLD if you hold them after transfer. User name and user data will be preserved.
    Code

Comment

We're currently undergoing an OS/400 and hardware upgrade. The users, obviously, would like to have their spooled files from the old system be transferred to the new system, under their own name. I looked into SNDTCPSPLF, but run into a few roadblocks. Even when submitted under the name of a different user profile, that information is not transferred to the new system. I can put the user profile in the User Data, but then there's no way to change the spooled file on the new box once it's there, to "link it up" with it's rightful owner. If anybody else has come across this problem, your feedback and advice would be most appreciated.

Comment

I have moved spool files by creating a remote writer and just sending them to the different queue that is attached.

Comment

Originally posted by tim.shafar@fiserv.com View Post
          I have moved spool files by creating a remote writer and just sending them to the different queue that is attached.
          Dude tell me the steps which I should follow it rigorously.

Comment

Working...
          X