Technical interview questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical interview questions

Can someone tell me where to find technical interview questions? I am interested in CL, RPGIII, and RPGIV.

Here are a some of questions to consider - What do you do to keep yourself technically up to date? What technical publications do you subscribe to? What technical publications do you read? What business, technical or Internet oriented books have you read in the past year? How much casual overtime have you worked in the last year? Can you troubleshoot production problems outside of normal business hours? Are you a quick learner? Ask for examples of where this trait has helped them achieve above average performance in the past year? Are they considered to be above average performers in their shop? For the long run in this time of accelerating change, you need to establish that this person likes to learn, learns quickly and communicates well.

Comment

Check out www.ibm.com/certify which is the IBM Certification Web Site. It has some sample tests for RPG CL etc. Regards, Mick.

Comment

What do you do to keep yourself technically up to date?

Comment

I like to ask this one: If I have a PF with six LF's over it and I add a field to the PF and run CHGPF what color will the LF's change to.

Comment

Personally I dislike the idea of long and involved code quizzing during a job interview. In the real world, we have access to the Internet, manuals, and existing code - we rarely have to write a program from scratch without the wonderful key and without reference materials. Plus, who cares if the person is a programming whiz if they have a bad attitude? Code tests don't weed out the arrogant or easily frustrated types that can really disrupt a team. The best and most memorable interview "test" I had was a written logic test. The test was intentionally difficult and lengthy, with incredibly convoluted instructions. I was given an hour to finish it. After the test, one of the interviewers came in and we chatted about the exam in an informal and relaxed manner. I was eager to find out my score and to find out what the correct answers were. I didn't realize it until later, but my tenacity to use every available minute to figure out the problems coupled with my desire to learn the correct answers was exactly what they were looking for in an employee. The REAL point of the exam was to test how I (the candidate) could handle a complex problem with no clear cut instructions or answers. After all, isn't this what all IT people face just about every day? They have seen candidates react in all sorts of ways to this exam. Some people get angry, others are frustrated almost to the point of tears, and once they even had a candidate sneak out the door without saying a word. Personally, I thought this personality test was a great idea. Yes, they asked some OS/400 questions to make sure that I had actually used an AS/400 before, but their main concern was my attitude towards solving complex problems, and my ability to learn. I thought that was a progressive way of weeding out candidates, and I plan to use this technique the next time I am involved in the hiring process. I am a firm believer that you can teach any intelligent person to write code in whatever language, but you cannot teach someone to have a good attitude. Technology changes all the time anyway, which means that we all need to learn new languages eventually. Personally I would prefer to staff my team with willing learners rather than inflexible "experts".

Comment

I consider that to be an offensive question and would not work for any company that allowed it's associates to mentally berate an applicant. Asking a question like that would definitely tell me that I needed to find the closest door out of the place.

Comment

Hi Susan I'm glad you said that. I am new to the /400 and I enjoy the challenge of learning old System36 as well as trying to catch up on RPGIV. I think that's one of my assets that I bring to the table. I do agree you need to have some knowledge of the /400 but a good attitude goes a long way. Frank

Comment

Jeff - What information or insight do you hope to gain by asking a question like that? Steve

Comment

Thanks. Just what I was looking for.

Comment

The answer depends on whether you are adding a numeric or alphanumeric field.

Comment

I have combined this type of personality test with technical skills. Someone received 3 hours to write a subfile program (display only) and a report from scratch. Only one person ever finished. Others did what they could and kept there cool under pressure. I hired them. I had one person leave in tears after 1/2 an hour. A painful test, yes, but I was hiring people for a consulting firm and would be sending them to the wolves (customers). I had to know who worked well under fire and who didn't. Even when a line of code was not written, you could tell about a persons analytic skills by the questions the asked, the references they looked for, etc. John

Comment

Originally posted by Guest.Visitor View Post
                          Thanks. Just what I was looking for.
                          Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

Comment

Working...
                          X