Dial-In w/ Client Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dial-In w/ Client Access

I am currently running an AS/400 on V4R5M0 with TCP/IP installed and running and user connecting with CA/Express. We have an external modem on the system and our vendor is able to dial-in and connect using pass through from their AS/400. I would like to be able to dial-in from my laptop at home. Where do I need to start? I can connect to my AS/400 from my laptop I am in the office with it connected to the network. We are behind a firewall and the AS/400 does not have a "real-ip" address, so connecting over the internet is not an option. I just want to be able to dial-in remotely. Thanks Bill

Dial-In w/ Client Access

Try www.psi3164.com; deal with Bob or Mike. They can help. bobh ps: Someone is bound to complain about your double posting.

Comment

Dial-In w/ Client Access

Another possible approach would be to use pcANYWHERE. Use the search function of this forum for more information on pcANYWHERE.

Comment

Dial-In w/ Client Access

Bill, One way is to attach a modem to an IO adapter on you AS/400. It is likely that you have one to support ECS, or if it is real new system, it will have a built in async modem. You can use the ECS modem or attach an async modem to that type of adapter. To use the ECS modem, you have to set it to ASYNC, which means channging a dip switch. That is not an ideal modem because it is probably only 33.7 kbps. Once you have the hardware figured out, you can configure a PPP line. You do this with Operations Navigator. The help is helpful, but you need more than it contains. If you get to that point, I can forward a list of instructions taken from an IBM help-line guide. David Morris

Comment

Dial-In w/ Client Access

I guess I'll ask the simple questions: Are you connected to a network from your desk when using the laptop? If you have a network do you have dail-in capabilities to it? If yes, then simply dail into the network and use CA as you would from your desk. If yes, is it already connected to the internet? If so, you could VPN from your local ISP (home) then us CA as you would from your desk. If not, that would be the simplest solution (add dail-in capability to the network insteas of using PPP or SLIP etc). Personally, if you have a network (which most of us do if we have any pc's) it is a lot simpilar to simulate your connection as if you were at your desk.

Comment

Working...
          X