Excel/Client Access Transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel/Client Access Transfer

I need to transfer a file done in Excel to a database file on the AS/400. I downloaded the database file to the pc to create the FDF and the TTO files, but there has to be more to it. I'm trying to avoid using comma delimeters. I would like to take it straight to the database file without having to write a conversion program. How should the Excel spreadsheet be saved? What font if any specific should be used? What about column width. I know I've done this several years ago but someone else set the original transfer up.

When you transfer the file FROM the AS/400, to create the FDF and TTO, you should transfer the data in BIFF format ( I forget if it's BIFF3 or BIFF5, or just plain BIFF). BIFF is the native format of an EXCEL spreadsheet. When you transfer the spreadsheet back to the 400, it should not be necessary to save the data as comma delimited, or text. The .XLS file should translate automagically. Dave

Comment

Ever consider FTP ??? this is all predicated on having a tcp connection. from a pc: You can establish an ftp connection to the as400, transfer(ftp 'put') the files to a spewcific area on the as/400, and submit (RQUOTE) the as/400 job to perform the updates. From an AS/400: - one prerequisite here - either the file must be on an accessable server the AS/400 can see, or the PC must be running a personal server. either case you will require a valid logon or allow anonoymous must be enabled. The same basic steps apply, in establishing the FTP connection to the pc, doing an ftp get and then submitting the apply job. rob

Comment

Dave, Suppose that I have transferred the file from AS400 and saved the file in .xls format, is there any way to convert them into BIFF format? Hapizorr Rozi Alias

Comment

Perhaps saving to an earlier release of EXCEL (EXCEL 2000 will let you do this) will do the trick. I usually use comma separated variable, cause I know it works. Dave

Comment

Working...
          X