Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing AFP Documents

Hi Scott, I compared your device setting with mine and found 2 things:
     __________________________________________________  _________ Y: Manufacturer type and model . . . : MFRTYPMDL *WSCST M: Manufacturer type and model . . . : *HP4 Y: ASCII code page 899 support . . . : ASCII899 *NO M: ASCII code page 899 support . . . : *YES __________________________________________________  _________ 
    Vadim

Printing AFP Documents

Hi Scott, I compared your device setting with mine and found 2 things: Question: Are you printing graphics (overlays, barcodes, etc) to the printer set up as a Client Access Printer Session that uses that printer device? If so, did you have to load anything on the AS/400 for AFP or did you use standard OS400 config.? Thanks... PS: The bottom line is that I can't print graphics without AFT (*YES), and CA will not set up the printer device to turn that on. Has anyone set up a printer session in Client Access to print to an AFP compatible printer and is printing overlays? ==Scott==

Comment

Printing AFP Documents

I had run into a similar problem while trying to print barcodes on a production order form. Although we aren't using an overlay, the barcode is seen as a graphic object. Basically, what I found was that I couldn't get the AFP/IPDS type commands to work through CA/400. I called support for the printer (Output Technology) and they told me that emulation always strips those kinds of commands. I have had to resort to a third-party solution. Log-Net Systems has a really good software solution in their One-Print product, although it is a bit pricey. I have just found MPI's Blue Kit for TCP/IP for HP LaserJet printers. This looks like it might be a really good solution in that a DIMM chip in the printer allows the printer and 400 to talk directly to each other. I'm still trying, too, so good luck. Here are the URLs for those two companies: http://www.lognet-systems.com http://www.mpitech.com

Comment

Printing AFP Documents

We tried the blue kit, it does not work with overlay.

Comment

Printing AFP Documents

Hi Scott, I print logo and boxes, did not try barcodes. They saved as *OVL objects on AS/400. My first configuration was done from CA/400 and it works. I only had a shifting problem with overlays and logo, but it is fixable with WSC object. Also, keyword AFP is *Off on my device description. I think this keyword for IBM and IBM compatable printers. Vadim VROZEN@YAHOO.COM

Comment

Printing AFP Documents

I had run into a similar problem while trying to print barcodes on a production order form. Although we aren't using an overlay, the barcode is seen as a graphic object. Basically, what I found was that I couldn't get the AFP/IPDS type commands to work through CA/400. I called support for the printer (Output Technology) and they told me that emulation always strips those kinds of commands. I have had to resort to a third-party solution. Log-Net Systems has a really good software solution in their One-Print product, although it is a bit pricey. I have just found MPI's Blue Kit for TCP/IP for HP LaserJet printers. This looks like it might be a really good solution in that a DIMM chip in the printer allows the printer and 400 to talk directly to each other. I'm still trying, too, so good luck Peter, Thanks for the response. I have come to the conclusion also that CA/400 will not setup an *AFP compatible vertial printer too. I'll check out some third party stuff or possibly an AFP local printer, although a local printer is not a good solution for us. ==Scott==

Comment

Printing AFP Documents

I print logo and boxes, did not try barcodes. They saved as *OVL objects on AS/400. My first configuration was done from CA/400 and it works. I only had a shifting problem with overlays and logo, but it is fixable with WSC object. Also, keyword AFP is *Off on my device description. I think this keyword for IBM and IBM compatable printers. Vadim, Is the printer you are printing logo and boxes on attached to the 400, or is it a printer session through CA/400 on a PC?

Comment

Printing AFP Documents

<> Yes, it is a printer session.

Comment

Printing AFP Documents

Yes, it is a printer session Vadim, Do you remember the steps you went through to creat the printer session that correctly will print overlays? I have tried about every combo possible, and whenever I go to a spooled file and enter the name of an overlay to print with it, I get a message in the job log that the overlay was ignored because the DEVPRT has AFP(*NO). Thanks.. ==Scott==

Comment

Printing AFP Documents

Hi Scott, First of all, do not worry about AFP(*no), this is not a problem for HP printers. Thaht is what I do: 1. Start new session configuration. 2. Make It a print session by clicking on radio button... 3. Press "Setup" command button. 4. Setup as it done on attached file. 5. Press ok 2 times. That's it. Do not use for a beginning any WSC objects try as is. Vadim. vrozen@yahoo.com

Comment

Printing AFP Documents

Vadim, Thank you very much for all your help. I am sure now that the printer device that I have setup is not the problem. I think I need to read up more on printing an overlay. Thanks to your help (and others here on the forum), I am slowly but surely getting to the bottom of my problem. Thanks again.. ==Scott==

Comment

Printing AFP Documents

Hey all! I have been struggling with something and it's time to post it to the forum for help! We want to print work orders using overlays (right now we print on pre-printed forms). All the PC's that would be printing work orders have a LaserJet printer attached to the PC, and Client Access to access the AS/400. We have setup overlays for the work order form. Here is the problem: I have tried to set up a printer session to an HP LaserJet 6L that will print AFP documents in order to print the work order overlay without any success. I have been following all the articles in the February 1999 issue of Midrange Computing (which is very good, by the way) on this subject, but can't get the results expected. I am trying to set the printer session up in HPT mode so it can print AFP documents. I have setup a Workstation Customization Object on the system, and when configuring the printer session in CA have turned on Transform Print Data to ASCII on AS/400 option, Changed the printer model to "Other", and specified the Customizing Object as the one I created. When CA creates the DEVPRT object on the AS/400, it always has the following properties (which 1. Is wrong, and 2. Does not allow AFP documents):
                         Device description . . . . . . . . : DEVD #2PRT004 Option . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : OPTION *ALL Category of device . . . . . . . . : *PRT Device class . . . . . . . . . . . : DEVCLS *VRT Device type . . . . . . . . . . . : TYPE 3812 Device model . . . . . . . . . . . : MODEL 1 User-defined object . . . . . . . : USRDFNOBJ *NONE Object type . . . . . . . . . . : *NONE Data transform program . . . . . . : USRDTATFM *NONE User-defined driver program . . . : USRDRVPGM *NONE Advanced function printing . . . . : AFP *NO Online at IPL . . . . . . . . . . : ONLINE *NO Attached controller . . . . . . . : CTL QVIRCD0001 Font . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : FONT Identifier . . . . . . . . . . . : 011 Point size . . . . . . . . . . . : *NONE Separator drawer . . . . . . . . . : SEPDRAWER *FILE Separator program . . . . . . . . : SEPPGM NONE Library . . . . . . . . . . . . : Printer error message . . . . . . : PRTERRMSG *INFO Message queue . . . . . . . . . . : MSGQ CARGILSA Library . . . . . . . . . . . . : *LIBL Host print transform . . . . . . . : TRANSFORM *YES Manufacturer type and model . . . : MFRTYPMDL *WSCST Paper source 1 . . . . . . . . . . : PPRSRC1 *CONT80 Paper source 2 . . . . . . . . . . : PPRSRC2 *NONE Envelope source . . . . . . . . . : ENVELOPE *NONE ASCII code page 899 support . . . : ASCII899 *NO Character identifier . . . . . . . : CHRID *SYSVAL Workstation customizing object . . : WSCST HP6L Library . . . . . . . . . . . . : CARGILSA Dependent location name . . . . . : DEPLOCNAME *NONE Text . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : TEXT Device created for S1032623. User-defined options . . . . . . . : USRDFNOPT 
                        The other thing I noticed is that when I change any settings once created (in CA), CA does not update the printer device on the As/400 with those new settings. HELP!! ==Scott==

Comment

Working...
                        X