Bar Code Printing in Line Matrix Printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bar Code Printing in Line Matrix Printer

Does anyone know how to print bar codes using matrix printers connected via PC's running Client Access? In a remote site far far away, we have 2 Printronix line-matrix printers (model P5005B) connected to an AS/400 via twinax cables. They have the IPDS option installed, so we can easily print bar coded documents. Unfortunately, the AS/400 will soon be mothballed. All transactions will continue to be served at the site, but the data processing will be done in our central office's AS/400 connected via frame relay. Since all connections will be switched over to ethernet cables, the only way to connect the printers to the central office's AS/400 would be through PCs running Client Access. But in this configuration, I cannot make use of the IPDS feature! I can still print regular reports without bar codes. However, with bar codes, all I get are all sorts of weird characters (with occasional line feeds). I am all out of ideas. Any assistance will be appreciated.

Have the printer possibility to print barcodes whitout IPDS?

Comment

Anders, Yes. This printer easily prints bar codes inside WORD documents. I wonder if it is possible to convert IPDS spools into print files in the IFS and to print them with WORD (or some other Windows program).

Comment

Using a printserver for IBM environment and transparency coding You can send the codes for barcodes direct from Your AS/400. Both Axis and Idata printservers for IBM environment supports this.

Comment

Anders, Could you please define what you mean by the term Printserver? Is it a device you attach to an AS/400 or PC? Or is this a PC software? Is there a web site where I can make inquiries?

Comment

Ricardo, A printserver is a device that You connect to the paralell or serial port on Your printer and to Your network. Using a printserver Your printer will be available for Your users on the LAN both from AS/400 and from PC.

Comment

Working...
            X