Disk Usage Creep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk Usage Creep

I would start by checking for unusually large file sizes in your Notes data directory (e.g., /notes/data) on the IFS root file system to determine if Domino may be responsible for the disk usage growth. I can't imagine Domino server logging taking that much disk; and, if you have Domino HTTP server logging enabled, that shouldn't take that much disk in that short of time either (unless you getting millions of hits a day on your Domino Web site).

Disk Usage Creep

There appears to be log files that are sequentially numbered, each file is 64MB. These are the largest files I can find in the entire IFS. Dave

Comment

Disk Usage Creep

So, the problem isn't Domino databases on the IFS. Did you find out what it was?

Comment

Disk Usage Creep

The problem was in the IFS. The files in question were called MAIL.BOX MAIL1.BOX MAIL2.BOX These three files alone swelled to over 15gb. We gave support a call today, as we did, the system reached 94%. We stopped the Domino Server, deleted the files (harmlessly I might add), and restarted Domino. We were told a corrupt mail, may have caused the problem. OTOH I believe the problem is starting all over again. Dave

Comment

Disk Usage Creep

Wow! Who needs hackers when you've got disk eating databases like yours. I wonder if your email is configured improperly? You should try to open the MAIL.BOX or MAILx.BOX databases and see what's in them (hopefully you can do this before they get too large, else they'll take a long time to open). Use the File | Database | Open option, select your Domino server for the server name, and key MAIL.BOX in the filename text field at the bottom of the dialog. This should open the database and reveal what's in there. The only thing in that database should be mail that has problems (unroutable, etc.).

Comment

Disk Usage Creep

We believe that there is some problems with a piece of mail somewhere, but thus far the contents of MAILx.BOX is undecipherable. This will be tried again. We have some problems with users who refuse to open their mail, but that does not appear to be causing this. Dave

Comment

Disk Usage Creep

We are still having problems. We are surviving by periodically stopping the router, compacting MAIL.BOX with the "-L" parameter, and restarting the router. This gets the system back to normal levels, but the disk creep resumes as soon as the router is restarted. The contents of MAIL.BOX are undecipherable, and once the size exceeds a certain point, I can not examine it at all. I haven't found any links to this particular problem, and support has been less than supportive. One support tech was trying to change storage pools on me, and I had to explain five times that the problem was DASD, not memory. We are at 5.0.5.01 and V4R5 with the latest cume. TIA for any insights, or links. Dave

Comment

Disk Usage Creep

Here's an idea that might work if the problem is with the MAIL.BOX database (it's corrupt or something). Stop the Domino Server, rename MAIL.BOX, and then restart the server. A new MAIL.BOX file should be created automatically that will hopefully be a database with no problems. As long as you rename the current MAIL.BOX file you can always copy and paste any mail that may be in it to your new MAIL.BOX. Of course, it sounds like the mail that's in your current MAIL.BOX is no good anyhow, so copying it is probably not viable.

Comment

Disk Usage Creep

This was one of the first things that was done. As soon as the router was restarted, Disk creep restarted. We also tried deleting MAIL.BOX with the same effect. It appears to me that MAIL.BOX is merely the symptom. As yet, we have not found the underlying problem. This is a real stumpre, but because it involves disk space, it is also a very serious situation. Dave

Comment

Disk Usage Creep

If you haven't already tried this, stop the Domino server, rename your log.nsf file and restart the server.

Comment

Disk Usage Creep

Thanks Richard, but this was done already. Our latest "tip" stated that the mailbox.ntf file was corrupted. We have replaced this file this morning, and we are monitoring the situation. Until this is resolved, we will not be doing an enterprise implementation of the client, and we are compacting mail.box with the "-L" option every eight hours. The IT manager has threatened to pull Domino altogether if this can not be resolved within the next few days. Dave

Comment

Disk Usage Creep

are the IBM Lotus people of any help, Dave? Ralph

Comment

Disk Usage Creep

Some are, some aren't. I had one guy who told me about the "-L" option (on the COMPACT program). This was very helpful, as it reduces disk usage in a matter of minutes. It doesn't solve the underlying problem, but it gets us going. OTOH, I had another guy who spoke with an accent so thick as to be incomprehensible. Another spoke so softly, (and refused to speak up, even after several polite requests) that I could not type anything that I was told as it was consistently muddled. I had to request another rep, but ended up on "hold" for half an hour. Dave

Comment

Disk Usage Creep

Just in case no one has suggested this yet... You could try upgrading from 5.0.5.01 to 5.0.6a and even to the latest 5.0.7 version. Here's a URL where you can use to get to the Lotus Domino Incremental Installer site: AS/400 Lotus Domino Incremental Installer Page On the AS/400 page you should find a link labeled "Download Incremental Installers" which will take you to the Lotus page.

Comment

Disk Usage Creep

I thought 5.07 was only the latest Notes client, not the latest Domino release. It is confusing, and clarification would be appreciated. The problem has been solved. The culprit was a single piece of rogue mail that kept on looping back and forth between the Domino router, and the native AS/400 SMTP server. Once we tracked this down, and eliminated it, the disk creep went away. Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X