How do I access the AS/400 from home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I access the AS/400 from home?

Yes, pcANYWHERE is reliable. The bigger question is - are your phone lines reliable? Just an old mainframer caught in the Web!

On Friday, April 24, 1998, 10:00 AM, Greg Haas wrote: Ok, I read all the topics under both 'PC' and 'Networking' in regards to accessing the AS/400 from home using a modem. It seems that the PCAnywhere might be the right approach for me since I would prefer not spending too much money on hardware. Years ago I used a package called TruLynx. It doesn't seem to exist anymore, yet I have never heard anything good about PCAnywhere. Is this package reliable? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    check out www.psi3164.com Bob Hamilton TEXAS BUSINESS SYSTEMS 736 Pinehurst Richardson, Texas 75080

Comment

On Friday, April 24, 1998, 10:00 AM, Greg Haas wrote: Ok, I read all the topics under both 'PC' and 'Networking' in regards to accessing the AS/400 from home using a modem. It seems that the PCAnywhere might be the right approach for me since I would prefer not spending too much money on hardware. Years ago I used a package called TruLynx. It doesn't seem to exist anymore, yet I have never heard anything good about PCAnywhere. Is this package reliable? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. I use pcAnywhere all the time to take over my work PC from home, getting to our AS/400 via the NWSAA gateway. PCAWIN allows you to take control of a PC via phone lines. It is very reliable. My problem with it has always been that it's s-l-o-w. Not slow like using a 300 baud modem in the old days, but definitely not instantaneous either. It can also be picky about the modems it works with; setup can be painful, depending upon the comnbination of PCs, video resolution, and the modems involved. But once you get it set up, it works great, if not fast. You will have to dial-in to a PC that has some kind of AS/400 emulation on it, like CA/400. You have to use the Host version on the PC you dial into, the Remote version on the PC you dial from. You can mix and match "bittedness", tho not perfectly; e.g., I have the 16 bit version running at home under Windows for Workgroups 3.11, and the 32 bit version running under NT at work. I can't print at my home PC any more, I can't map a local drive at home, and file transfer seems to be a problem; all of these features work fine when both ends are using the same # of bits. And there's no built-in way to send Alt-Ctl-Del from a 16 bit Remote to a 32 bit Host in order to initiate a network logon on my NT box - the 32 bit Remote version offers this, which means you don't have to leave your work PC logged on to the network and you can use a screen saver. Anyway, that's some info about PCAWIN. If you want more, just ask. HTH

Comment

On Friday, April 24, 1998, 10:00 AM, Greg Haas wrote: Is PC Anywhere reliable?
        I have used it years ago, it is quite reliable. I found with my DOS version PC support, that I had to end session to DOS or PCS Menu screen, or the next session did not work. Another program that I have used is Emulator Eliminator by HREF="http://www.redoc.com/"> Redoc It has some special keystrokes (Alt+H=Help, Ctrl+S=System Request...). Both programs work 'slowly' compared with LAN connection, but I can survive. BORDER=5 CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=5 bgcolor="#C3A44A">
        VALIGN="TOP"> Matti Kujala * Ahlstrom Kauttua ltd. * HREF="http://www.vn.fi/vn/um/finfo/findeng.html">Finland

Comment

I've used BosaNova Remote for about 18 months for remote access and printing and it works like a champ. You have to use an Autosync modem with this software like a Hayes but once you get it working, it's solid and I find the performance plently acceptable.

Comment

Working...
          X