On-board video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On-board video

I have an IBM PC 300GL whose video adapter has gone out. Does anyone have an idea how to disable it? I can't get to the BIOS because nothng comes up on the monitor. Thanks.

On-board video

The assumption I get from your post, is that the monitor is working, but the video card is not. If this is the case, then the solution will cost you from $50. - $150. and about 1/2 hour of your time. First buy a new video card. These are available all over. Make sure the interface with your PC is correct. This can be standard, PCI, or AGP. Turn the power off, and unplug your PC. You can use a Phillps head screwdriver to open the back of your PC. Unplug the VGA connection to your monitor, and replace the bad video card with the new card. Close everything up. Reconnect everything, and re-start your PC. Windows may not recognize your new video adapter card, so the screen may appear in 640x480x16 color VGA. If this happens, you should refer to the software that came with your new purchase. Follow the directions for installation. There should be directions. It may be necessary to disable the old video card from within windows before installing the new software drivers. If this is necesary, it can be done by selecting the "System" Icon in the "Control Panel". Best of luck, Dave

Comment

On-board video

If you are using Windows 98 it is capable of using two video cards. In that case, just stick a video card in the computer and boot up. It should boot up, and you can disable the onboard coard inside of Win98 device manager. If you are not using Win98 or Win2K or it doesn't boot up to that card, you will need to determine how to disable it. From all the ones I've seen with on board video there is a jumper on the mother board to disable it. All the ones I've seen have been pretty easy to figure out what jumper it was (labeld video or such). Regards, Jim Langston

Comment

On-board video

I appreciate the info, but the thing is I can't remove the old video board; it is incorporated into the mother board. I looked for a jumper setting on the mother board to disable it, but didn't see anything obvious. Thanks!

Comment

On-board video

Well, did you try adding another video card and seeing what happens? The worst that can happen is it won't work, and it's already not doing that. Regards, Jim Langston

Comment

Working...
          X