Windows 2000 and its idiosyncracies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 and its idiosyncracies

Has anybody tried Client Access (V3R2) on W2K? Or how about VAJava? When CA is installed, W2K stops working. Upon startup, W2K hangs, and you have to go into the task manager and end tasks until hopefully you get to a place where you can uninstall CA, at which point W2K comes back up, happy as a clam. VAJava, on the other hand, works fine. Sort of. The program runs, but instead of nice, 3D dialog boxes with beveled edges and pretty widgets, it reverts back to what appears to be almost a Win3.1 type of dialog - white screen, black rectangles, very 2D, very 20th century. VERY ugly. Functional, but I'd sure hate to take screen shots from it. Anybody else trying these combinations? Or am I the only one tempting the demons of software incompatibility? Joe

Joe, you're way out there on the bleeding edge again.

Comment

One of my clients is a software house working with a variety of platforms. Somebody there said "hmmmmmmmm. We'd better get W2K, to see if our NT based software runs on it." We never found out. After a successful install, it was discovered that W2K replaced all hardware drivers with generic drivers. Nothing worked except the NIC, and W2K itself. Printers, Modems, most anything that required a driver failed to operate. After three tries on differently configured PCs, W2K was put on hold. Dave

Comment

I really have to wonder about anyone who would jump onto the new, new thing from $lick Willie Gate$

Comment

I really have to wonder about anyone who would jump onto the new, new thing from $lick Willie Gate$ It's what I do. I could have said the same thing about Java two years ago, but instead I tried it. Some things pan out, some don't. Right now, W2K is very very very stable, and at the same time it runs games very well (I realize that games aren't what business people care about, but for me what it does is test whether or not the operating system can handle heavy hits on the hardware, and in this case it can). And all this coming from a CONFIRMED Windows basher . src="//www.zappie.net/java/_derived/index.htm_cmp_zero110_vbtn_p.gif" width="140" height="60" border="0" alt="Java400.net - Java/400 Freeware" align="middle"> Java400.Net - where the AS/400 speaks Java with an RPG accent Home of PBD2.0, the color=red>FREE Java/400 Client/Server color=blue>Revitalization Toolkit

Comment

Hi Joe, IBM's official word on this is Client Access Express only, so don't expect any support: http://as400service.rochester.ibm.co...3182fec862564c 00079d117/8bb9a04bf81593a58625677700493d2e?OpenDocument There's also an article by Howard Arner ( who's in our local user group, BTW ) about this in the February issue of Midrange Computing: http://www.midrangecomputing.com/mc/...b1063&md=20002 Haven't tried VAJ since I mostly bypass IDEs. Best, Joe Sam Joe Sam Shirah Autumn Software Consulting/Development/Outsourcing Please Note New Email: jshirah@attglobal.net Visit our User Group at: http://www.jax400.com

Comment

IBM's official word on this is Client Access Express only, so don't expect any support Thanks Joe. That's what I needed (although didn't particularly want) to hear. Time to move to the future. Haven't tried VAJ since I mostly bypass IDEs. Really? Do you still use JDB for debugging??? While I never use the visual programming environment, I primarily like VAJ because of it's repository, and I basically use it to debug hand-written code. I'd never use JDB if I could avoid it. src="//www.zappie.net/java/_derived/index.htm_cmp_zero110_vbtn_p.gif" width="140" height="60" border="0" alt="Java400.net - Java/400 Freeware" align="middle"> Java400.Net - where the AS/400 speaks Java with an RPG accent Home of PBD2.0, the color=red>FREE Java/400 Client/Server color=blue>Revitalization Toolkit

Comment

In shops where users have control over their desktops (There is a trend to reduce this sort of access), there will always be those users who want the very latest, and will spend hours downloading beta copies in the name of productivity. Guess whose job it is to set things straight when previously working software ceases to function. In the case of a software company, it is necessary to run (and be compatible with) all releases, because you never know what the customer, or a potential customer might have. In one case, a customer of my client was an "official" MS W2K beta site. MS came in, installed W2K, and worked with the customer to make sure that errors that might happen to you and me, did not happen at this site, or were immediately fixed, or had the environment changed to accomodate the software. For the rest of us, the old maxim that MS will sell you fixes, rather than fix what they sell, still applies. Dave

Comment

Joe - W2K has an 'official' supported hardware list at http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...at/default.asp along with something called the 'Readiness analyzer'. This is a program that you download and run on your PC to analyze it's readiness (duh!) for W2K. My understanding is, if your hardware is not on 'the list', DO NOT try to install W2K on your PC. (And lots of hardware is not on 'the list'.) Sounds sorta like a Linux install where you have to know the manufacturer and model of every piece of hardware on your system, dontit? HTH, Steve

Comment

The good news is that W2K has been running fairly well for the past several days on my VERY non-standard machine (I've got a dual Pentium machine, in a configuration which isn't even supposed to be able to be done without drilling holes in the chips). My single biggest complaint at this time is that the file system, especially copying large numbers of small files, is very slow. On the plus side, W2K tends to recognize all my hardware, including my USB-attached Astra 1220U scanner. And it runs EVERYTHING, except as I said, the IBM software seesm to glitch out. And there is whispering that MS did that on purpose, although I find that unlikely. Joe

Comment

Try updating to the most recent release of CLIENT ACCESS. I can only assume that the IBM has come out with a version or patch for CA that would rectify any issues running it on a Windows 2000 based PC. If no patch has been issued as of yet, you could try installing Windows 2000 onto a fat32 partition as well as CA rather than NTFS5. Aside from that, don't wait for Microsoft to bail you out on this one. You know the saying.... Kevin McLure G.E. Shnier

Comment

An article by Howard F. Arner in the Feb. issue of Midrange Computing (pg. 80) points out that W2K (Windows 2000) and CA/400 are not compatible, and IBM does not intend to make it any better. CA/Express is what has to be used to work correctly with W2K.

Comment

Working...
                        X