Getting pc to run a cl prog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting pc to run a cl prog

I need to transfer a file to the 400 from a PC and then have it kick off a CL program on the 400. I've got the data transfer worked out, but how do I get the PC to run a CL program? This needs to be automated, probably a BAT file connected to an icon on a Win9x based machine. Any ideas?

Use rmtcmd.exe

Comment

Thanks! I'm sure this will work. But here's a dumb question. I know there are a lot of people on this forum who are true experts, and people like me really depend on them and are very greatful for their help. But how do you find out stuff like this? IBM makes it very difficult to find these things in the softcopy and their web sites.

Comment

.1.1 Sending a Single Batch Command The format of a single batch command is: RMTCMD remote command //RemoteSysName /Z remote command The CL command, typed as it would be typed on the remote system. This command should be surrounded by double quotation marks if it contains anything that looks like another command line option, such as /Z. //RemoteSysName The remote system name. This parameter is optional. If you do not specify the remote system name, the default remote system name will be used. /Z The message suppression option. This parameter is optional. If selected, informational messages will be suppressed. The system does not prompt for any input after you enter the single batch command. If the command is sent, a remote system generated message is displayed. (The remote system sends the message to the personal computer where it is displayed.) If the command fails because of a communications problem, for example, the local RMTCMD program displays a message indicating the problem. Refer to the online help for the cause of, and recovery from, any messages that the RMTCMD program displays. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Right from IBM website, I just scanned on rmtcmd

Comment

When the rmtcmd.exe command is issued, where does the command run, in interactive or batch? Can this be controlled? will the command wait to run any subsequent batch commands?

Comment

Make sure *REXEC services is running on the 400. Test RMTCMD like so: C:>rmtcmd dspjob the system will display the name of the default system; if it doesn't you have another problem. If the C:> prompt comes back, go to the 400 and do wrkusrjob; you should see a job called QPRTJOB; look at the spool file for this job. you should be able to recognize something on it. HTH, bobh

Comment

When the rmtcmd.exe command is issued, where does the command run, in interactive or batch? On my system it runs in QSYSWRK subsystem.
              >will the command wait to run any subsequent batch commands? I don't think so. You can write a PC program to better control program flow. I kind of remember using a tiny & great shareware utility called bat2exec to do this. John

Comment

The command you run on the 400 can be SMBJOB!!!!! bobh

Comment

Working...
                X