X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integer Divide in 'C'

I thought the forward slash '/' was integer divide in C. ????? bobh

Integer Divide in 'C'

It depends on the operands. It's integer divide if you use integer operands.
     #include  int main(void) { int i1 = 3; int i2 = 2; double d1 = 3; double d2 = 2; double d; d = i1 / i2; // d == 1 d = d1 / d2; // d == 1.5 } 
    Barbara Morris

Comment

Integer Divide in 'C'

What about % ; I had thought that this returned the equivalent of trunc(a/b). I'm converting a bunch of old DEC 'C' routines to REXX and I stumbled on that one... a = (1 - 14)/12 If a is int or long int; but evidently not in the 'C' that I stumbled onto. WOW!!!!! thnx, bobh

Comment

Integer Divide in 'C'

Bob, I could be wrong, but I think that the "%" sign deals with remainders resulting from division. It's sort of like MVR in RPG, or GIVING REMAINDER IN Cobol. I know that I've used "%" in C. I'm pretty it was with remainder and date routines.

Comment

Integer Divide in 'C'

I'm not sure about in C, but in BASIC or VB, the integer divide is the backslash character (''), so: A / B is a regular divide. A B is integer divide. ==Scott==

Comment

Integer Divide in 'C'

The problem turned out to be the Floor function and the % operator which is not the same as a REXX // function. Got the 'C' train back on track, with apologies to the DUKE. The particular stuff giving problems was not from DEC but OS/2, another IBM step-child. thnx for your help... bobh

Comment

Working...
            X