Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Way off the beaten path... user IDs and desktops.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way off the beaten path... user IDs and desktops.

Here's an off-the-wall question for all you Windows gurus out there. Can you "copy" a user ID, retaining the setting for the desktop? My problem is that I want to consolidate my user IDs. I have several machines in my network, all added during different occasions, and all with different user IDs. I'd like to create a set of common IDs (one with admin rights, one with "normal" rights) that would apply to all the machines in my network, but not lose my desktops on the various machines. So, I'd like to "copy" an existing user ID's desktop to another user ID. This of course begs a few other questions, such as what is actually "owned" by the user ID: desktop, sure, but how about cookies, or application program settings? And if those are user-specific, how does one copy those as well? What are the differences between 98, NT and 2000? If anybody has a quick answer one way or the other, I'd appreciate it. On the other hand, if there's online material that would teach me, feel free to post the URL. And, if all else fails, the name of a REALLY REALLY good book on Windows administration would be the fallback. Of course, the latter would require books on W2K, 98 and NT, because I have all of them in the shop. Then again, it makes the bookshelf pretty impressive.
    sigh< src="//www.zappie.net/java/_derived/index.htm_cmp_zero110_vbtn_p.gif" width="140" height="60" border="0" alt="Java400.net - Java/400 Freeware" align="middle"> Java400.Net - where the AS/400 speaks Java with an RPG accent Home of PBD2.0, the color=red>FREE Java/400 Client/Server color=blue>Revitalization Toolkit

Maybe http://www.microsoft.com/support/kb.htm can help.

Comment

Take a look in the Windows/Profiles folder - there you can copy a whole desktop from one system to another.

Comment

Doesn't the user.dat registry file (Win98) in the profile directory hold desktop values?

Comment

Working...
        X