2 CPUs, 1 set of peripherals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 CPUs, 1 set of peripherals

I know this is not a PC message board, but there seem to be some very knowledgeable people here, so I'm gonna ask away. My employer just supplied me with a brand new PC to take home. They have configured it so that I can dial-up to our network so I can work from home every now and then. I was wondering if there is any piece of hardware that will allow me to connect one set of peripherals (keyboard, mouse, monitor, external modem, speakers, printer) to both this new PC and the PC I already have at home. Kind of like the A/B switches I've seen that allow one printer to be connected to two or more PCs. I would love to just scrap my old PC and replace it with this new one, but four years of data exist on the old one. Plus, I don't want to load up the new one with personal stuff (games, Quicken, pic. scans, etc.). My goal is to have both PCs at the same desk, one for work, one for play. Shut one down, flick the switch, and start up the other one. Any ideas if something exists that will allow me to do this?

You could always take the hard drive out of the old one and put it in as the second drive in the new one. If you do, be sure to set the jumper on the drive to be the primary slave, not master. ==Scott==

Comment

I haven't seen a switch that will do all of that but I have used switches that allow you to share your keyboard, monitor and mouse with two or more PCs you can check with http://www.pcwarehouse.com or http://www.belkin.com for other products. I know that an AB type switch for keyboard, monitor and mouse is approx 60 dollars.

Comment

I use a Cybex personal commander at work for sharing two CPU's w/1 monitor and keyboard with the push of a button. Its a pretty smart switch, not sure of the cost. I don't have a printer attached to it but I am not sure you can't.. I would imagine they have a web site.

Comment

Working...
        X