X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied
    AS/400 training for a System/36 Programm

I don't have any AS/400 training, but actually have a friend that is doing the reverse (AS/400 programmer working on a S/36) and needs some S/36 training material. Do you, by chance, have any? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• frankgw@adelphia.net
    replied

On Wednesday, December 31, 1997, 08:25 AM, Brian Bludau wrote: I have been programming on a System/36 for the past 4 years. Our company just purchased an AS/400e. My goal is to migrate to the S36 environment and then migrate all of our applications to run native on the AS/400. I am in need of AS/400 training. Currently, I am searching for training videos, CDs, books, courses, etc. I am also looking for anyone who may have followed this same migration path in the past year or two. Any suggestions? Thanks! ************************************************** ******************* Been there. Done that - twice! And still doing it! You have a very big job ahead of you. In my view, RPG II and ILE RPG are close to being different languages and that was referred to as the easy part in an earlier response. I will assume that you have already read the many helpful posts previously documented in these forums. Here are some questions. Are you a one man shop? How many programs and files do you have to convert? Notice that I said "convert". You can migrate to the S/36 environment, but it's a conversion to get to native mode. Don't let anyone mislead you on this issue. Another key question for you is - do you have a year 2000 problem to solve? Also, do you have all custom code? A mixture of custom code and software packages or what? Just an old mainframer caught in the Web!

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest replied

Been there, done that. The RPG isn't, imho, the hard part; even RPG IV is relatively painless. The two major stumbling blocks seem to be CL and work management. Of immense help have been a couple of books by Ernie Malaga. One is The AS/400 Primer and the other is CL Programming. You can get both from Midrange. Mike Dawson, I think, has one called The AS/400 Owners Manual avail from either Midrange or News/400; it's good, too. Greg Veal, also, has a book on CL (Midrange or News). DDS can be a toughy. Charlie Massoglia has a book on the subject specifically geared towards ?36 programmers. It's probably sold through Midrange or News; if not, Charlie can be reached at 517-676-9700 (MI). IBM has a reference manual on DDS; it is not intended as a training tool. I'm at home right now, and I can't recall the title or pub#. The part that I use most, though, is the monitorable messages for all of the IBM commands. As a reference tool, Bob Cozzie's books on RPG III and RPG IV are invaluable. As a training tool - not. I use them daily. COMMON is a great place for an 'old' 36er to learn about the /400. There are many sessions that you can attend on any and all subjects; there are programmers like you and me that have been through the transition and are more than willing to share their experiences and knowledge,like Charlie. And the Rochester and Toronto (Language Lab) sites send so many developers it's like turning on the lights at night in a roach-infested kitchen - they're everywhere. I mean, we're talking high-level, high-intensity exposure here! 615-831-2247 (Voice) 615-360-6496 (Fax)

Leave a comment:

• Guest.Visitor
    Guest started a topic AS/400 training for a System/36 Programm

The best traing is on the job training. I came from a mainframe COBOL/CICS to the 38 10 years ago and the only training I go was on the job. Some of the best classes I have attended in recent years were at COMMON (mini or full) and the RPG IV by Cob Cossi. Karl Lauritzen Second VP Project Development National Lloyds Ins
Working...
X