No Topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Topic

Thank you for taking your time.   I am planning to convert from system/36 to as/400 environment.   I read the manual fornNCS Professional.  Page 35 ~, can I choose program name instead of choosing file label?   Can I use DDS specification for system/36 on AS/400 ?   Now, every programs, which used to be on system/36, are on AS/400.   Library - QS36F   File - QS36SRC - programs whose member types are UNS36, RPG36, DSPF36, and  MNU36.   File - QS36PRC - programs whose member type is OCL36.   Is it necessary to create native DDS specifications for our datafiles from the Input specifications in our RPG II programs?   Would you please let me know some suggestion ?   Sincerely,   Blue

No Topic

On Sunday, January 17, 1999, 08:04 PM, bluesky wrote: Thank you for taking your time.   I am planning to convert from system/36 to as/400 environment.   I read the manual fornNCS Professional.  Page 35 ~, can I choose program name instead of choosing file label?   Can I use DDS specification for system/36 on AS/400 ?   Now, every programs, which used to be on system/36, are on AS/400.   Library - QS36F   File - QS36SRC - programs whose member types are UNS36, RPG36, DSPF36, and  MNU36.   File - QS36PRC - programs whose member type is OCL36.   Is it necessary to create native DDS specifications for our datafiles from the Input specifications in our RPG II programs?   Would you please let me know some suggestion ?   Sincerely,   Blue
    It is not necessary to do anything on the AS/400. However, it is advisable. You do not have to go native all at once. I know of several shops who have been piecemealing their conversion efforts, and one shop that has been slowly converting their data, and programs to native mode over the last eight years! For simple (one format) data files, you can convert to DB2/400 in the following manner:
    1. Create the DDS for the file, and compile the file in your desired library with the CRTPF command.
    2. Use the CPYF command with the FMTOPT(*NOCHK) parameter, to copy the data to your newly defined file.
    Other nativisations, such as using logical files, and the OPNQRYF command instead of SORTS will come in time. Converting RPG II programs to RPG IV may be more cumbersome. I would suggest starting with batch programs first. Interactive programs will have the screen DDS already there for you (in QS36DDSSRC), but there are some complicated design considerations you may want to look at first. In the AS/400 RPG II manual, there are some suggestions and considerations for conversion. David Abramowitz

Comment

Working...
    X