Technical Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical Question

Questions: What is the syntax for BLDFILE command? What is the command (and syntax) for copying a file (equivalent to CPYF)? Is there a System/36 tutorial on the Web? For those who are interested here is why I'm trying to get these answers: I'm trying to modify a System/36 CL program. Original program is doing an FTP transfer of a file via Client Access for DOS from a PC. After the FTP transfer an RPG36 program is called to process the file. My task is to modify this process to get rid of the Client Access for DOS. I am running a script on the PC side to upload the file to the AS/400 On the 400 side I deleted the part of the CL that does the file transfer. The problem that I ran into is the record length in the file I am uploading. The original CL was using BLDFILE command to create the file. My version simply tries to use the file that was upload via FTP. I am thinking about uploading the file to the 400 and then copying it in the file with correct record length. The problem is that I have never seen System/36 code until yesterday and I'm struggling with it. Any help would be appreciated.

Technical Question

If you can't get to a S/36 command manual, type HELP BLDFILE on a command line, and press ENTER. This will give you the syntax. Unfortunatly, this is not available from within the editor. Dave

Comment

Technical Question

Hi George, You need to make use of the softcopy library. The control/procedure language for the S/36 is called OCL. If you search for this, and for example, BLDFILE, you'll get enough hits to get you started. If you need more help, I'm sure others and ( possibly ) even I would do so at ( probably ) reasonable rates, considering. It has been so long and has so little current applicability that it really is a waste of the time of most responders to the major midrange forums to deal with it. While we keep hearing of S/36s out there that keep on chugging, I expect that few practitioners will be reading this. You should get enough info for your needs from the manuals. As to the web, have you tried the search engines? Best, Joe Sam Joe Sam Shirah Autumn Software Consulting/Development/Outsourcing Please Note New Email: jshirah@attglobal.net Visit our User Group at: http://www.jax400.com

Comment

Technical Question

George, you might not know that on the AS/400 you need to be in the S36 environment before you can successfully do HELP BLDFILE. You can either do STRS36 to get into the environment (and later do ENDS36 to get out), or you can simply do this: STRS36PRC PRC(HELP) PARM(BLDFILE) Barbara Morris

Comment

Technical Question

Thanks to everybody who responded. All of your help is appreciated. It is definitely enough to get started.

Comment

Technical Question

I have a System/36 and some manuals. If you run into a brick wall, send me a short e-mail 2014062168@mobile.att.net with your e-mail address and maybe I can help you.

Comment

Working...
            X