Need S36 ATS Training Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need S36 ATS Training Material

I have an associate (AS400 programmer) that needs to come up to speed on a the basics of the S/36. She especially needs RPGII and SDA training. In the 1980's a bunch of us learned on the ATS training packages. Does anyone still have access to them?

ATS is still alive and well, and making just the material you need. You can reach them at http://www.ibmuser.com Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave, I'll check them out. Homer

Comment

Frank, The problem is that the program is very slow at times, sometimes 4 to 5 minutes before it returns to the main screen. Then at other times it is quite fast returning It sounds like it could be an object lock issue of some sort. I don't know how else to explain a 4-5 minute delay. If the RPG IV program was compiled with ACTGRP(*NEW) you would have the performance hit of creating an activatino group, but that is along the same lines as creating a new job. Certainly not 4-5 minutes. I have RPG IV programs being called from RPG36 programs running in the environment without a problem, so it can be done. I'd first look at what files were being used and their overrides (including // FILE statements) to make sure everything is being shared correctly. Or from another job/session display the locks of the job in question while it is slow and look for a *WAIT condition. If it is a program being called repeatedly, end with *LR off if possible and use ACTGRP(*CALLER) or the default activation group (which is where your RPG36 program will be running). You could also check the job log for any indications of problems. But my first hunch is an object lock issue. Doug

Comment

This could be anyone of many things, but the large discrepency in performance sounds a lot like temporary file locking. Your S/36 program may be in a wait state, waiting for a particular file to become free, before it goes past a certain point (usually the file opens). Dave

Comment

Working...
          X