End of SSP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of SSP?

I came across this: http://www.search400.com/search400_N...201507,00.html Does anyone have more info on this subject? Dave

End of SSP?

It's a shame that you won't be able to run the S/36 machine within the As/400 after V4R4. I have one customer who is using that feature to continue to use S/36 code for which no source exists. I have another customer using a S/36 where the availability of this feature would make the transition to the AS/400 much easier. (First get them on the new hardware running exactly as before...then move to the AS/400 side of the software). So if I can't get them to move from the S/36 before V4R4 is withdrawn, it sounds like it will be harder to make the switch.

Comment

End of SSP?

One client with many S/36 applications will be moving to V4R5 in August or September. Not to worry, the article was a bit misleading. The article refers to the AS/36 machine, and not the S/36 environment. The use of SSP in the article threw me off. Dave

Comment

End of SSP?

OK, I am confused. I'm aware of the S/36 execution environment on the AS/400 that simulates a S/36 to some extent. Converting programs from the S/36 to the AS/400 to run in S36EE requires a recompile (so requires source). I've used S36EE since 1989. At some point, IBM made the "Advanced 36 Machine" which essentially let you create a "real" S/36 within your AS/400. (CRTM36). I've used this to allow a customer to run S/36 programs where source was not available. (And also as an incredibly easy first step of moving from a real 36 to the AS/400...just create the 36 with CRTM36, save to tape from the old 36 and restore to the "pretend" 36 inside the AS/400). My understanding is that the Advanced 36 Machine commands are removed in V4R5...so this customer (which has a "real" AS/400 with the little 36 machine set up) could not go to V4R5. I know it would be a Good Thing to get rid of this 36 inside the AS/400, but until we can stop using the programs with no source, I don't have a way of making that step. If I still don't understand what happens in V4R5, please explain further. (broha@hennypenny.com if you prefer).

Comment

Working...
        X